Confirmed - Nationwide UK (Ireland) to Shut Down

Let's hope there is time between Nationwide releasing the deposits and the NTMA cutting their State Savings rates.

Confirmed that Nationwide UK (Ireland) is closing on 29 September 2017.

You can now close accounts with no penalties and "without loss of interest" according to a letter I got today. Not sure if this applies to all accounts for everyone yet. I am emailing Nationwide UK (Ireland) to confirm that this means you get maturity interest up front.

No news on the rate that now applies to the 12 Month Regular Saver account.

Last edited:
They are only paying interest accrued on regular saver.Not surprised that there has not been a reply to Ciarans query regarding interest up front.The fixed rate accounts were for a fixed period and if you failed to complete the term there were penalties so surely if they are closing these accounts the customer is entitled to total interest for the agreed period as they are breaking the contract. either way it will not make anybody rich given the miserable rates on offer.

I got a response yesterday on the fixed rate query. Confirmed that Nationwide UK (Ireland) will now pay maturity date interest up front. You can now close your account with maturity rate interest.

Yeah, only accrued interest paid on the 12 Month Regular Saver account.

Last edited:
Apart from notification a few months ago about the impending closure, haven't heard anything from them since. I have a 3 year savings deposit with them which doesn't mature for another year. Should I be chasing them up?

Yes, in the sense you can get your interest now. You could ring Nationwide UK (Ireland) and say you want to close the account with maturity interest up front and they will do it for you.

Hi there....I have a 24 month loyalty fixed rate account.....I am in the process of closing my account will i get all my interest upfront?

Closing statements state "interest up to date of closure" but they assure me they are paying up to date of maturity. Just a little misleading.

Different account types seem to have different closing dates. The letter relating to my Regular Saver Account states it must be closed by 29th Sept but the letter relating to my Easy Access Account states it must be closed by 13th Oct.

I think they may be staggering the closing dates generally. I got my letter a week ago with a closing date of 6 Oct, but know someone else who got it today with a closing date a week later 13 Oct (so exact same notice period length) - both easy access accounts.

Different account types seem to have different closing dates. The letter relating to my Regular Saver Account states it must be closed by 29th Sept but the letter relating to my Easy Access Account states it must be closed by 13th Oct.

Back