Condensation on windows, attempt to fix no good.

Giggsey

Our home is in two sections, older bungalow (20 years old), new section (10 years old) kitchen, upstairs bedroom.

kids sleep in older rooms - had a problem during winter months with lot of condensation on kids windows.
As no problem in our own bedroom window assumed insulation was better in new section of house.

Attempt to fix:
Cavity wall and attic top-up insulation.
Trickle vents added to all windows.

The vents helped a little bit, a football size space around vent has no condensation but rest of window still covered in condensation.

Do I need bigger vents? How big should they be?
Are core (wall) vents better than window vents?
Why is our own room OK, is it sometime to do with kids rooms being on ground floor?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks.

I assume that the glazing in the old part is up to par? I'm by no means an expert but we had a terrible problem with condensation (35 yo house). We replace glazing (supplier 1), insulated walls and attic (supplier 2) and at the same time had wall vents put in (supplier 2 did this too). The right windows improved the situation dramatically where window condensation was eliminated and the vents allowed air to circulate so no more problem.

Don't know much about vents but it would seem if all the windows are the same, the older part of the house has higher humidity, dampness... A dehumidifier might sort you out. Insulation won't sort it on its own, you need heat and air to let the moisture escape. Keep bedroom doors closed and windows open as much as possible, keep bathroom door closed after showers etc, keep kitchen door closed when cooking. As a kid we were yelled at to not the steam go down the house! And it was a double glazed well insulated bungalow, no vents, just old fashioned opening of windows everyday. Extractor fans in kitchen and bathroom. No drying/airing clothes down the house either! I never remember condensation on bedroom windows.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm not sure of the details but my parents had a similar problem in their house and they got a window company to do something with the existing windows. It could have been as simple as replace the sealant. I know it wasn't a big job and the condensation problem has been alleviated. Maybe talk to a window company?

Thanks for replies.

The windows are double glazing and same type all over the house.

Rooms either side of corridor, one south, two north....but 3 rooms show same condensation.

Thinking new super insulated trible glazing window might be needed...but expensive. Maybe try dehumidifier first...

It would be a good idea to measure the humidity in the rooms first http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/maho/yohoyohe/momo/momo_002.cfm I got this dehumidifier online as a temporary solution to a damp problem from this company and found it very good. There is an auto sensor on it which switches on the device when the humidity is above normal http://www.chmarine.com/acatalog/Dehumidifiers.html. I did eventually find the cause of the damp problem and resolved the issue.(leaking gutters)
The problem for you with window condensation could be that the vacuum is gone in the cavity between the 2 window panes thus allowing heat transfer allowing the cold air to meet the warm air causing condensation.

Last edited:
Just saw this product online have no idea of its efficiency but maybe it would be of interest to you. [broken link removed]

This positive ventilation system worked for us [broken link removed] - worth getting an assessment

The problem for you with window condensation could be that the vacuum is gone in the cavity between the 2 window panes thus allowing heat transfer allowing the cold air to meet the warm air causing condensation.

That's what the problem was in my parents house - the house is otherwise cosy, especially since they got retrofit insulation a couple of years ago, so the job the window company did on the original windows worked a treat.

I have a similar problem with condensation on the bedroom window. This window was double glazed into existing wood window about 15 years ago. I have always had condensation (window very wet all over ) in the morning. If the cavity was gone would you notice this EG white beads in cavity. Need to remedy this as room feels very damp and am currently using de humidifier. No sign in my opinion that cavity broken down . Who should I get to look at the problem.

Warm air carries more water vapour than colder air. The vapour will condense out of the air when it contacts a cold surface. When you insulate the walls you will have warmer air in the house than you had prior to upgrading your insulation. You will also have warmer exterior walls. The result now is that your warmer air can now carry extra water vapour and there are less cold areas of exterior wall for the vapour to condense on so more vapour will condense on your windows. You will also notice more condensation on cold water pipes and WC cisterns and these may weep onto your floors. You could further upgrade your windows and maybe reduce the the level of window condensation. Without providing extra ventilation at the same time you will still have warm moisture laden air looking for somewhere to condense. This might now form on other windows or increase on the water pipes and cisterns. There is no cheap way out of this problem and increasing insulation without increasing ventilation will result in an unhealthy level of humid air in the house. If the present level of window condensation is bearable the easiest way of dealing with your problem is to dry off the window every morning with an old towel.

I have the same problem in my rented apartment DG windows but very poor wall insulation, no vents in bedroom. Window very wet every morning and mildew, should I leave the window open at night ?
I fine it hard enough to heat the place without having a cold wind blowing in...

Condensation on the window can be easily wiped dry every morning. If you do this there will be no damage done to the window and mildew should be minimised. The alternative is either spend a fortune on wall insulation and better windows, or shiver all night with the window open.

Condensation on windows is better than condensation on the walls, in the wardrobes etc. I'd look at reducing the humidity, stop drying clothes indoors, keep lid on pots when cooking and open the windows frequently.

Back