Con Rod gone in '08 Golf

aoc

Anyone any advices - have an '08 golf 88k miles, serviced about 3 weeks ago... driving to work on mon and heard a noise, pulled over as car died. Garage telling me that con rod went out through engine block?

I bought the car 26mths ago with a 1 year warranty.
- is there any point contacting the main dealer (haven't serviced car with them)
- i contacted my ins co. about breakdown assist - should i ask them is there engine cover on my policy?

all advices welcome... cannot believe this has happened!

no.... just that. engine locked. timing belt intact. that was done just before i got the car at about 59k miles....

Can anyone tell me what kind of warranty you should get with a 2nd hand engine - some places quoting me 7 days, i thought i would be entitled to 3 months???

[broken link removed]

Your rights as a consumer are as laid out in law above. Any warranty issued by the retailer is in addition to these rights and does not replace them.

88golf

Apparently this is a common fault in some golfs around this vintage and at this mileage. It is thought to be a design fault in a particular run of engines which can be identified by engine number. I suppose the important thing is not to replace the engine with one from the same run. Sorry I don't know the numbers involved but I am informed that it is well known within the motor trade

thanks Evanio.... i've read up a bit about it and actually happened someone else I know a week after it happened to me...
I bought an engine from an 08/09 (cant actually rem) passat...

common fault isnt really good enough tho.... and of course no come back, last thing i needed..

Sorry to see you have trouble with your VW Golf, the way you are going is the correct route, off topic a little but it does amaze me how many people especially young men pay a premium for a Golf thinking they have a better car than most others, they give as much trouble as most other things out there and IMO are not worth any premium but still there is a demand.

Palerider - I must have looked at about 700 cars (no exaggeration both on line and in garages) before I bought the golf - so disappointed! all i ever heard was how great they were - granted it feels to me the safest car i ever had - not sure how i will feel about it when it is returned....

Poorer for starters!! A terrible thing to happen just before Christmas. It's really a lottery when buying cars.

lol yes i know DeeCaff ...... and whats worse I am being made redundant this week! talk about bad timing!!!!

ok - so as engine is being put it is has become apparent that now i need to put a new clutch and fly wheel in the car!!!!!!
i bought the car from a main dealer in Sept '09 with a 1 year warranty - i have put just under 30k miles on it - is there any point even ringing them about this? I seriously think it is a joke that this much can go wrong...

If you had it regularly serviced at the main dealer, you have some small hope of goodwill. Otherwise, I'm afraid it's caveat emptor.

4 years ago? I wouldn't hold out much hope on that one. Better to get the clutch and flywheel done now before the engine is put into the car, at least you'll know what you have when it's done.

Back