Computer typing: one space or two after a fullstop?

viztopia

I have always left one space after a full stop before typing again. As i have just done. a new worker in our office says no it is two spaces and one after a comma. Does anyone know which is correct?

Re: Computer typing

AFAIK, both conventions are acceptable but the two-space after a period is the stricter rule. Depends where you did your typing training...

I go with your co-worker - I've always left two after a full stop and one after a comma.

Having learned how to type back in the days of real typewriters (!), I was taught 1 space after a comma and 3 spaces after a full stop!

I have always left one space after a full stop before typing again. As i have just done. a new worker in our office says no it is two spaces and one after a comma. Does anyone know which is correct?
Either is correct, depending on the convention you're using. I have a personal prejudice against the two-spaces-after-full-stop myself, because the spacing can get badly messed up if you're justifying the text, specially if you're using a large font-size. As such, I have to repress the terrible urge to "correct" colleagues' work sent to me for comment. It's probably character building!

If your new co-worker is insisting one is right and the other wrong, s/he may need a little gentle reminder that there is more than one way to skin a cat... or an irritating co-worker. :D

I did typing/word processing in school and we were taught two spaces after a full stop. I hate seeing only one space.

Just for fun, vary it at random, one two and occasionally 3 dots.

You can do a find and replace on ". " or ". " and make it consistent if they are that bothered.

Never heard of the two spaces after a full stop rule myself. Maybe that's how trained typists do it or something but I doubt that it has much relevance on computers per se?

Been typing on PCs since 1990, self taught. Never heard of two space rule until today. Now I'm wondering about all the business letters I sent over those years. Have I been the butt of office jokes all over the country !! I'll never look at a space the same way again.

Did a course to learn how to type years ago - taught to leave two spaces after a full stop.

M

I've typing qualifications - I would use the 2 x spaces after a full stop. As a typing trainer - I can tell you that there are no hard and fast rules, it depends on who has trained you. Pitman trained typists use 2 x spaces in my experience. However when doing typing tests, if you use 2 x spaces then you can fail a test on accuracy!
So long as your text is grammatically correct and legible, I don't think it matters how many full stops you use. :)

Last edited:

Was thought in school (by very strict nuns!) that 2 spaces should be after a full stop and 1 after a comma

I did typing/word processing in school and we were taught two spaces after a full stop. I hate seeing only one space.

I think there is only ONE space after a full stop in your post... :D

so THAT's why justified text goes abnormaly wrong for me! my mother taught me the 2 space rule but reckon it could be civil service hang up bred in by the nuns (cover your ears Clubman :p). personally i scan text (work related stuff) and find the lack of 2 spaces after a sentence a bit off putting. that said, i adhere to the 2 space rule yet dont use capitals at the begining of a sentence, can barely spell without spell checker and would have a job to point out a noun in a sentence, so perhaps the new rule should be whatever works for Word!!

So long as your text is grammatically correct and legible, I don't think it matters how many full stops you use. :)

I tend just to use one full stop myself at the end of sentences. O, here goes....................................... ;)

I tend just to use one full stop myself at the end of sentences. O, here goes....................................... ;)

Oh This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language, I read over that post 3 times and still didn't pick up on it!

Of course I meant spaces.....................

I think there is only ONE space after a full stop in your post... :D

I know and I definitely put in two. Maybe it's a default. I put two spaces in this time too but it will probably come up as one again!

Back