Compulsory Move to Monthly Pay

Rose Violet

My niece has been told that effective from January she is being moved to monthly payroll from weekly and the company have offered €500 compensation. She has been told she has not choice in the matter and it was more or less intimated that if she didn't like it should could move on. Can this be imposed on her - it is in breach of her contract?

Many thanks

Re: Compulsary Move to Monthly Pay

I doubt very much there is anything in her contract which says the company must pay her weekly and by offering her €500 her employers are being more then generous.

Most people find it better to be paid monthly, even those who originally did not want to change. Fro €500 what is she complaining about.

i had to move from weekly to monthly pay frequency this year and i find it really hard to manage my money this way. would have liked €500 for the inconvenience though!

i can't understand how someone would actually prefer to be paid monthly.

it really annoys me that my employer can hold onto my money for three weeks it could be earning interest for ME!!

I have been paid weekly, monthly, four weekly and two weekly. Monthly pay was awful but I was young so most of it was going behind a bar or a shop counter.

2 weekly is my preferred frequency by a long shot - its enough for unexpected stuff and the next payslip isn't far away.

We had no option but to change but got a loan which has to be paid back.

i get paid weekly, wish it was monthly.. Mortgage, maintainance for kids gone straight away.. At least i'd know what was left!!

i can't understand how someone would actually prefer to be paid monthly.

All my bills are monthly so it's handy for me to get paid, pay bills and know everything left is for me. Weekly would mean I'd have to keep money from each weeks pay to cover the bills at the end of the month. I suspect most people would be the same.

I've been paid both weekly & monthly (currently weekly) and I find it much easier to manage my money when paid weekly. I just put aside a certain amount each week to a "bills" account and the rest is mine to do what I want with. When I was paid monthly, I always had loads of money for the first week and then none for the rest of the month! If I had to switch to monthly paid, the biggest problem would be how I would manage from week to week for the first month. I guess the €500 would go some way to easing the pain! As a business though, it makes much more sense to run a payroll monthly, rather than weekly - 12 payrolls vs 52 - much less administration.

Maybe this is peculiar to my area of employment but isn't there something about your pay frequency being related to the amount of notice you have to give if you want to leave your job? I.E. if paid weekly then you only have to give 1 week's notice, etc. Does this work conversely if you're being let go?

Maybe this is peculiar to my area of employment but isn't there something about your pay frequency being related to the amount of notice you have to give if you want to leave your job? I.E. if paid weekly then you only have to give 1 week's notice, etc. Does this work conversely if you're being let go?

No, a common myth
The notice you give or recieve is based on lenght of service, not how the payroll is organized

My niece has been told that effective from January she is being moved to monthly payroll from weekly and the company have offered €500 compensation. She has been told she has not choice in the matter and it was more or less intimated that if she didn't like it should could move on.
If it were me I'd accept it but I'd look to have the pay date set in the middle of the month. Also for the €500, I'd ask that they give me a €250 voucher in December and another €250 voucher in January, therefore avoiding any tax or prsi on it; they might go for that as it would save them paying employer prsi also.

If weekly pay is stated in her contract terms and conditions, they can only change payment with her consent.

If it is "custom and practice" it can be changed without he permission, but can bring a case to LRC if she feels strongly ....

Not the right climate to bring employer though

Not the right climate to bring employer though

exactly - not being patronising, but she should move on and be thankful for the €500. With a bit of budgeting this shouldn't be a problem, certain not in medium/long term. If she can't manage it in the short term, then there is something wrong with her finances/budgeting - worst case she uses her overdraft or CC more for the month.

Being paid monthly (say €36,000pa) is €3,000 per month
Being paid weekly in a 53 week year is €692.31 extra

If weekly pay is stated in her contract terms and conditions, they can only change payment with her consent.

If it is "custom and practice" it can be changed without he permission, but can bring a case to LRC if she feels strongly ....

I don't take a position on the original question, but I wonder if this is a correct interpretation of the law. My understanding is that custom and practice is part of a contract in the sense that the interpretation of a written contract of employment takes account of custom and practice.

I have been paid weekly and fortnightly, and monthly.

When I was paid monthly I found it hard to save money. When I am paid weekly it is easier to manage money, I put a certain amount away for bills & savings every week, and I know how much I have left for disposable income.

It is all right for some people to say that monthly pay is fine, but I bet they never earned only 20K to 25K and had to run a car, pay a mortgage and save out of this!!

Monthly pay works fine if you are earning a generous salary, but weekly pay is better if you are trying to make a little money go a long way.

It is all right for some people to say that monthly pay is fine, but I bet they never earned only 20K to 25K and had to run a car, pay a mortgage and save out of this!!
Very few people earning close to minimum wage levels run a car, pay a mortgage and save since most of them are very young or the second household income.

She might be thankful to have a job in a few months time. If her job was under threat she wouldn't be complaining about the pay timeframe.

Being paid monthly (say €36,000pa) is €3,000 per month
Being paid weekly in a 53 week year is €692.31 extra

Why 53 weeks? Did you mean 52?
Maybe I've missed something obvious but I can't understand it

I have been paid weekly and fortnightly, and monthly.

Few people on 20k-25k would be able to afford all that and it wouldn't matter if you were paid weekly, fortnightly or monthly.
They could have changed your pay to weekly and it would still be a struggle.

Back