composting

My mum says yes you can (she's sitting beside me!) - expert in all things garden-related.

Sprite

My mum says just so long as all veg waste is un-cooked.

Had a tenant who used to put cooked veg and meat on the compost heap.

Cue..................rat problem.

Came across a composter that you could put cooked food into I think it was called a pig.

My mum says just so long as all veg waste is un-cooked.
I compost cooked vegetable waste fine.
Had a tenant who used to put cooked veg and meat on the compost heap.
The problem there was most likely the meat. You're not supposed to put that on a heap in case it attracts vermin.

There are lots and lots of composting guides/tips online and accessible with any search engine.

I compost cooked vegetable waste fine.
The problem there was most likely the meat. You're not supposed to put that on a heap in case it attracts vermin.

I go through the trouble of making a compost corner for the fools in the garden then put in the lease what they can and cannot put into it, meat is a big NO NO, then what do the fools do.

Anyway I eventually got rid of the vermin (both 2 & 4 legged).

Came across different views on whether or not you can put in cooked veg into a compost heap.

here and [broken link removed]

Myself I don't like cooked veg bar spuds, I much perfer salads, so cooked veg rarely gets tossed in my house,

although salads do (before and after we're finished our dinner bum bum :D).

Last edited by a moderator:
I was told by a farmer don't put anything related to the spud in a composter. There is a particular type of worm that trives on spuds and will eventually drain your soil if allowed to flourish. This is why farmers never replant spuds in the same location two years in a row. Plus the fact that spuds are draining on the soil themselves.

Can i safely add potato stalks from my garden to compost bin.

Depends if you have a blight problem or fear a blight attack in the garden next season.

Management of the blight problem organically.
1. When digging your potatoes each year, you should be scrupulous in clearing your soil of all potato tubers, even those as small as pebble. Ensure that there are no potatoes on site from last years growing, as blight spreads by fungal spores from old potatoes to new crops in mid-summer. Placing potato peelings on your compost heap can also carry over blight if the heap is not hot enough, so I would also avoid this.

Taken from the Irishgardeners.com article....... [broken link removed]

I go through the trouble of making a compost corner for the fools in the garden then put in the lease what they can and cannot put into it, meat is a big NO NO, then what do the fools do.
Care to post that in English? :confused:
Came across different views on whether or not you can put in cooked veg into a compost heap.
Works for me and others that I know so that all that matters to me.

I was told by a farmer don't put anything related to the spud in a composter. There is a particular type of worm that trives on spuds and will eventually drain your soil if allowed to flourish. This is why farmers never replant spuds in the same location two years in a row. Plus the fact that spuds are draining on the soil themselves.
I've also composted spuds with no problems.

The main problem that I have (if you want to call it that) is that I find a lot of tomato seedlings growing in the compost that I create because of tomatoes that were composted! :)

I made a corner of the property garden a site for a compost heap,

then put in the lease what they (my tenants) can and cannot put into it,

meat is a big NO NO,

then what do the fools do.

Cue rat problem

Care to post that in English? :confused:

I hope you now understand what it was I was talking about.

Sorry you could not understand what I thought was understandable.

PS we also have lots of tomato plants in all the places where they are not supposed to be.

It is possible for you to have problems with rats even if you don't use non-compostable materials.
I discovered one in mine earlier in the year, when the bottom of the pile moved when I was putting stuff in :eek:. My cat used to sit on the window sill for hours after that, looking out for it, lol.

For some reason, around that time, I had been throwing out a lot of unused ie. whole spuds - so they were having a feast on them.
I googled my query and found a number of links, stating that it was possible, for a number of different reasons, to attract rats to your bin/heap. This is one: [broken link removed]

I was afraid to go near the bin for ages :eek: and when I did, there was no more sign of the rats.

Last edited:
Great post IWONDER and the link is very informative on the rat problem.

I only put regular compostible materials in my bin and I've been plagued with rats for the last couple of years.

I hate going to the bin and open the lid gingerly as I'm expecting to be confronted one day by a huge rat! I'll try some of the tips mentioned in the link and see if that works. :)

I've also composted spuds with no problems.

The main problem that I have (if you want to call it that) is that I find a lot of tomato seedlings growing in the compost that I create because of tomatoes that were composted! :)

I thought potatoes were commonly know as spuds. Sorry If I did not clarify. Other then that the reason you get tomatoes from your composter is cos you are putting tomatoes in there. Not rocket science.

I thought potatoes were commonly know as spuds. Sorry If I did not clarify. Other then that the reason you get tomatoes from your composter is cos you are putting tomatoes in there. Not rocket science.

Both Clubman and myself have the same problem with our compost heap

i.e. we both have ended up with tomato plants all over the place not due to spuds (potatos) but due to the fact that we have at some point in the past have put tomatos or bits of into our respective compost heaps.

In fact my wife liked the compost so much we will have a great crop of tomatoes to be harvested from the all over the house now.

This was not her intent of course but she can't turn her nose up at a good tomato, even if it is in a rose bush...

Back