Compo culture

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, do you?

That is subjective. The evidence produced on this thread alone suggests the courts are alot less lenient in making awards than the insurance companies themselves are at settling claims.
It would act as great deterrent to fraudsters if they knew that more likely than not, the case will go before a court.
This would reduce costs dramatically.

The evidence on this thread alone suggests differently.

I agree that it makes sense not to spend more money on futile efforts to recoup costs.

Wait a second, are you suggesting that these apparent fraudulent claims are not investigated?
How can the insurance company determine they are fraudulent so?

No offence but I have no interest in going around in circles on this. It's already been done on this thread and on others. You have your view on this and that's fair enough. It's just a repeat of the same old arguments at this stage.....

No offence but I have no interest in going around in circles on this. It's already been done on this thread and on others. You have your view on this and that's fair enough. It's just a repeat of the same old arguments at this stage.....

No bother at all. I am in agreement with you when you lay blame at the insurance companies and legal profession.
Im not so convinced that the public or medical profession is to blame, or at least nowhere near the extent of insurance companies.

Girl (6) who fractured elbow after slipping on gravel outside home awarded €43,000

A six-year-old girl who fractured her elbow after she slipped on loose gravel outside her Dublin home has been awarded damages of €43,000 in the Circuit Civil Court.

settlement offer of €43,000 from Dublin City Council and Irish Water

I'm pretty sure many, many houses have some loose gravel outside.....

Surely the issue is not loose gravel, but rather an injury to a six year old child could have been easily prevented had the loose gravel been properly attended to?

10 grand for a frozen shoulder

She told the court she had chosen not to use a footstool provided by Ryanair to assist employees reaching higher shelves, as she felt it would have been unsafe.

10 grand for a frozen shoulder

She told the court she had chosen not to use a footstool provided by Ryanair to assist employees reaching higher shelves, as she felt it would have been unsafe.

Nobody is responsible for their own actions in this country. It seems that infantilizing adults is a good thing.

I tell the guys in work that they have had the same manual handling, ergonomics and health and safety training I have had so they should take responsibility for their own actions and that it is their duty to report anything that is unsafe. If the woman in question here felt that the footstool provided was unsafe why didn't she tell anyone? Was is actually a footstool or a one or two step ladder?

Last edited:
I love this story. It really captures the essence of the Irish compo culture. And the insight into the behaviour of the Solicitors is just beautiful.
And it also contains a bit of disregard for the rules of the road....the woman in question has truly become 'more Irish than the Irish themselves' if I may use that old saying!

In a lengthy interview as part of an investigation into insurance claims, Ms Lamidi this week admitted to the Sunday World:
The accident was just “a little crash”;
  • She only launched her claim because the other motorist claimed against her;
  • She never had to pay legal fees or costs in the case;
  • She still drives unaccompanied despite having no full licence;
  • She thinks there are too many civil claims.

Im particularly impressed that the insurance company decided to challenge this in the courts, and in turn, it gets dismissed.
Insurance companies really should consider this option more often rather than paying out large sums without investigation and jacking up our premiums.

[/URL]
What a story

“The video disqualified me. Where did I jog? They said I was jogging.
“Me jogging? I was crossing the main road to the shop. I was just walking. I never ran. I was just walking.”
In court Mr Justice Raymond Groarke said the video of Ms Lamidi clearly showed her jogging across the street
“I will never blame the judge. I don’t know the judge but he’s doing his case. The judge was frustrated and tired.

I'd be frustrated too!

Despite losing the case and having costs awarded against her, Ms Lamidi said she was no worse off financially as she didn’t pay them. “I can’t pay. Where would I get money?”

Zero downside for making spurious claims, wasting court time and jacking up insurance quotes for everyone else

She said she considered taking a High Court appeal over the Civil Court decision but decided against it after receiving advice. “My spiritual father gave me a prophesy. He told me Esther if I was you I would leave the case. He said my bill would be higher. He said just let go.”

That's gold

Ms Lamidi told the Sunday World she didn’t think the crash was serious and only launched her civil action because the man in the other car made a claim through her insurance.
“I didn’t call my insurance so quick. I didn’t think it was going to go far. Then I got a letter saying about injury [to the other driver]. I said injury, what is this? Then it’s ‘OK, if you have injury I have injury too’.”

And then:
“It’s good to tell the truth and let the truth set you free."

More gold

This week Ms Lamidi told the Sunday World there are too many civil cases here.
“It’s too much. It’s too much. I don’t know how they do it. This matter of claim, claim, claim is not good. Many people are suffering. Other people are claiming.”

And more gold

That it takes the Sunday World to carry out some real journalism in the compo area says a lot about our media right now, especially the variety that is behind a pay wall and has notions of itself!
Less opinion/comment and more basic journalism please.

I love this story. It really captures the essence of the Irish compo culture. And the insight into the behaviour of the Solicitors is just beautiful.
And it also contains a bit of disregard for the rules of the road....the woman in question has truly become 'more Irish than the Irish themselves' if I may use that old saying!

Who is going to pick up the tab for this? Why is this woman not prosecuted for making a fraudulent claim? And who advised her and presented 'her case' in the courts?

Are things really that bad in our courts and in the legal profession?

Who is going to pick up the tab for this? Why is this woman not prosecuted for making a fraudulent claim? And who advised her and presented 'her case' in the courts?

Are things really that bad in our courts and in the legal profession?
I think we all know the answers to those questions...the Irish taxpayer is mostly picking up the tab in one way or another; we don't prosecute that type of thing here as it might mean less business for the legal/medical industry if claim numbers drop; I cannot say for legal reasons who advised her ;).

And yes things really are that bad in our legal profession. Even the Troika gave up on trying to reform them when they were here.

This one annoyed me - no mention of any responsibility lying with the parent who didn't supervise their child properly. No visible scarring remaining yet €22k compensation still offered. Insurance companies not challenging this stuff is bananas, what would the child have received in a contested case?
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/22000-for-boy-2-who-cut-eye-in-dublin-pharmacy-963456.html
Do remember that €22k is chump change to a Judge.

In fairness though the Judge was only asked to approve it, unlikely that Judge wouldn't if the claimant's brief is accepting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back