complicated Will matter

sunnywalk

hi
sorry the title may not be clear.. about 3-4 years ago my husbands aunt died intestate, she had no spouse or childern. Her estate passed to her nieces and nephews (and one of her nephews was my husbands dad)
He was notified by letter from a solicitor about this approx 3 years ago and he and his two brothers were asked to get PSI numbers (they all live in england) there are two other cousins of my husbands father and they live in ireland.. one of these cousins is the executor.
sadly two years ago my husbands father died. He had been told he was going to be a beneficiary before his death but nothing was settled before he died.

What happens now to his share of the estate, (the estate consists of a property which had to be sold and some monies in bank accounts? does his share pass to his brothers and cousins or does it pass to his children ?(husbands father was divorced and had not remarried)
My husband has one other sibling living in england (husband lives in ireland). My husband has informed the solicitor acting for the estate of his father death but does not know if his fathers share gets passed on to himself and his sister and the solicitor gave the impression it would but didnt really clarify,,
My husbands sister was executor for her dads estate in the uk.

any advice or comments would be welcome.

Thats all a bit confusing.

Was the dead woman your husbands aunt or great aunt?

If she was your husbands fathers aunt and she had no brothers and sisters, then her estate on intestacy passed to her nieces and nephews. That was fixed as at the date of her death. So on the face of it, your husbands father was entitled to his share of the estate.

He has since died and it seems that his share passes into his estate. As he appears to have left a will, then his share of the aunts estate passes to whoever he left it to in his will.

mf

Thanks for your reply

sorry about the confusion. The lady who died is my husbands great Aunt. My husbands father who died did not leave a will... I know I said my husbands sister was executor.. (which means he left a will) due to his intestacy
she was adminstrator of what he left ( which at the time of his death wasnt much)

I did think that my husbands fathers share off the aunts estate would go to him and his sister when it was being distributed. what should my husband do? should he contact the executor off the great aunts estate with his and his sisters details for any cheque to be made out to each of them separately? or should his sister as administrator do this?

we are a bit clueless and my husband doesnt know if he should contact a solicitor about this himself...

Are all of these people in England or in Ireland?

If its England, there may be different rules.

If its Ireland, it all seems to be taking a very long time. Do you have concerns about the money going astray? Or is it the case that the property never sold?

In any event, I would have thought that the executor should have been in touch with the beneficiaries to explain the delay. It is certainly worth making an enquiry.

mf

the aunt and the property and the estates were/are here in ireland.. my husband lives in ireland with me, his dad lived in england up until his death and his sister lives in england..
There has been a huge delay, i think selling the house was one delay, finding an out of touch cousin was another.. and then I believe a neighbour put in a claim on the estate (which didnt go anywhere i believe).. so there was a few issues which caused a delay.
we dont have any reason to believe there is an issue with the money going astray.. just wondering if my husband and his sister are entitled to his fathers share.. ( my husbands uncle who is also a beneficiary did say that he believed the estate would now be divided up among the surviving cousins... however my husband has been in touch with the solicitor acting on behalf off the estate accepted my husbands detail.. didnt confirm entitlement though)
so in a way my husband and his sister dont really know where they stand as noone is confirming except what one of the uncles said..

Back