Complicated question on health expenses!

aate

Hi

I have always claimed my health expenses relief. A query occurred to me this time that I had not thought of before - its easier if I give an example. Lets say my expenses came to €2000. The allowable amount that I could claim for from my health insurance was say €800 - then take away say €450 of an excess - giving me a refund of €350 from my health insurer. Now for the tax claim - part of my €2000 health expenses - say €300 - were routine dental expenses. The health insurance allows me €75 of this €300. So €75 of the allowable €800 above relates to the routine dental expenses. As we all know, routine dental expenses have no tax relief. So my question - when I am filling out my health expenses on PAYE Anytime - I will not be including the €300 dental expenses but by the same token am I thereby allowed deduct the €75 from the health insurance company refund amount of €350, and on Anytime therefore say that the amount I got back from the health insurer was €275? (i.e. 350-75). Hope someone can make sense of my question?!

Really, you need to be tracking different kinds of medical expenses for MED1 purposes.

(A) Expenses that can be claimed from both health insurance provider and have MED1 relief (e.g. GP visits if you have day to day cover)
(B) Expenses that can be claimed on MED1 only (e.g. prescriptions)
(C) Expenses that can be claimed from health insurance provider and do not attract MED1 relief (e.g. routine Dental)

I record my expenses in this manner and I don't remember coming across your conundrum...

Don't we have to declare all health expense refunds as income, anyway, even if it's for non tax deductible expenses?

Hi

I have always claimed my health expenses relief. A query occurred to me this time that I had not thought of before - its easier if I give an example. Lets say my expenses came to €2000. The allowable amount that I could claim for from my health insurance was say €800 - then take away say €450 of an excess - giving me a refund of €350 from my health insurer. Now for the tax claim - part of my €2000 health expenses - say €300 - were routine dental expenses. The health insurance allows me €75 of this €300. So €75 of the allowable €800 above relates to the routine dental expenses. As we all know, routine dental expenses have no tax relief. So my question - when I am filling out my health expenses on PAYE Anytime - I will not be including the €300 dental expenses but by the same token am I thereby allowed deduct the €75 from the health insurance company refund amount of €350, and on Anytime therefore say that the amount I got back from the health insurer was €275? (i.e. 350-75). Hope someone can make sense of my question?!

You incurred health expenses of €2,000 of which €1,700 is allowable for tax purposes.

You were reimbursed for €275 of those expenses.

Your claim is, therefore, €1,700 - €275 = €1,425

Thanks for the replies. The most recent one confirms what had occurred to me in my query. It seems I have been shortchanging myself for years in Revenue health expenses claims so!

Thanks again.

Back