Completing TR1

wally

I've just finished my PAYE job, and am setting up as a sole trader providing office services. I'm not having much luck with the Revenue, it keeps telling me there is nobody at the extension when I ring up.

I'm planning on hiring an office, so I don't have the exact address yet, nor do I have a clue of my expected earnings yet the form is asking for these - my question is can I concentrate on setting up my website, deciding on pricing etc. and my marketing and when I actually go to the office on my first day can I fill in the TRS1 then when I have more information or do I need to have this completed and notified to the Revenue before I set up for business?

I can't find anything useful online for setting up as a sole trader in the sense of what exactly has to be on my headed paper etc. but am I right in saying that if I am setting up as a sole trader and possibly also doing some PAYE work (the odd day 'temping' here and there to tide me over), is this all I have to do - complete the TRS1?

Any advice greatly appreciated or even a point to a useful thread.... Many thanks.

To be honest, you can basically make up a figure for your expected turnover - I have never experienced Revenue querying this figure in 15 years of filling in TR1's

As regards the rental issue, just leave it blank - Revenue won't query it in my experience.

in regard to turnover figure estimate-

i always taught the reason they looked for this estimate was if you estimated over a certain figure(vat thresholds) you should also register for vat at the same time

Back