Complaints - anyone get a response from AIB yet?

Got a final response to my complaint about them using simple interest in their calculations today...
They don’t seem to get it at all.

C211D0E3-16FD-4EE5-A0FC-06756BB89F52.jpeg

Attachments

• 7FDC4AF0-B31A-4D7A-9AE4-828CAE248FA1.jpeg
    7FDC4AF0-B31A-4D7A-9AE4-828CAE248FA1.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 247
Amazing. We got another generic holding letter. If this is the majority of the outstanding complaints and they are sending the same letter to everyone detailing the same reason as to why they are paying only SI why are they taking so long to issue it to everyone?

I got a response yesterday, rejected
Did they give you any specific reason for rejecting your complaint? Are you going to complain to the FSPO?
The rejection letter we received was 4 pages long. It is confusing and I think written that way to discourage us from taking it any further, i.e going to FSPO.
Amongst other things they state in one part of the letter that we were not entitled to the tracker rate at the time we had taken out our mortgage, in another part they state that the LTV we were on was actually lower than the tracker rate!!!
We still have the option to complain to the FSPO.

Something about the standard variable rate and the variable rate being used interchangeably, and that they didn't have any input from us, or info re LTV, so went and applied the SVR.

Amazing. We got another generic holding letter. If this is the majority of the outstanding complaints and they are sending the same letter to everyone detailing the same reason as to why they are paying only SI why are they taking so long to issue it to everyone?

They are playing a game.

Letter going out today with the following;

Dear XXXXXX

I refer to the above matter and firstly thank you for your most recent letter.

Again, I note that you are still looking into the issue I raised and accept that you cannot provide me with a resolution at this time.

However, in my previous letter of the 21st ultimo I had referred you to your undertaking to comply with the Consumer Protection Code 2012. I had referred to you section d) of that code, which states;

“the regulated entity must attempt to investigate and resolve a complaint within 40 business days of having received the complaint; where the 40 business days have elapsed and the complaint is not resolved, the regulated entity must inform the complainant of the anticipated timeframe within which the regulated entity hopes to resolve the complaint (emphasis added) and must inform the consumer that they can refer the matter to the relevant Ombudsman, and must provide the consumer with the contact details of such Ombudsman; and...”

Your most recent letter fails to mention this at all.

If I do not hear from you on this point, I will have no option but to make a further complaint regarding AIB’s handling of this matter, this one arising from your failure to comply with the relevant code.

I trust that this will not prove necessary.

Something about the standard variable rate and the variable rate being used interchangeably, and that they didn't have any input from us, or info re LTV, so went and applied the SVR.
Sounds very similar to what was in our letter from them too. Longwinded and no clear explanation given to us. We are seriously considering taking this up with the FSPO.

Got my rejection letter last week.
They still say claim Tracker rates would have been too high.
They say I sold my house in 2017 when in fact, they got the keys as part of the insolvency arrangement in 2016 and sold it themselves.
It's a muddled reply, blaming me entirely for what happened.
I feel writing to the FSPO at this point will just be a waste of time and energy.

I hope more of ye have better luck with this shower!

Hang on you lost your house, remember that when the FSPO ruled on Karen's case she had no extenuating circumstances(e.g. Lost home or financial hardship). It doesn't matter what AIB says the FSPO has already rejected their arguments. Her case was chosen deliberately as her circumstances applied to the whole cohort so the ruling for her case could be applied to all the 6000, you suffered additional loss and hardship so should definitely go to the FSPO on that basis alone. The original case is just the starting point, we all had hoped AIB would see it as an opportunity to close this once and for all but they chose not to and instead chose to drag this out.

Hang on you lost your house, remember that when the FSPO ruled on Karen's case she had no extenuating circumstances(e.g. Lost home or financial hardship). It doesn't matter what AIB says the FSPO has already rejected their arguments. Her case was chosen deliberately as her circumstances applied to the whole cohort so the ruling for her case could be applied to all the 6000, you suffered additional loss and hardship so should definitely go to the FSPO on that basis alone. The original case is just the starting point, we all had hoped AIB would see it as an opportunity to close this once and for all but they chose not to and instead chose to drag this out.
Hi tnegun,
AIB claim my circumstances, terms and conditions, were similar to the complainant (Karen I presume) and therefore applied the FSPO decision to my account. I got 12% capital write down of the account balance in April 2012, when a fixed rate period ended.
This, to me, makes no sense and what you say makes perfect sense but I just don't know how to proceed with the FSPO. AIB have twisted everything I've said up to now and comparing my situation to someone who ultimately didn't lose a house seems a bit odd?
I don't know what to make of it.
I will send a letter to the FSPO because of what you've said and see what they have to say, but I won't expect any miracles. Thank you

Last edited:
they got the keys as part of the insolvency arrangement in 2016 and sold it themselves.
So, you lost your property.

Whilst I’m unaware of the details of your insolvency arrangements, I seriously think you would benefit from having a discussion with a tracker issue financial expert (or even a Solicitor) with a view to framing your FSPO complaint in the best manner possible, or even launching legal proceedings, seeing as you have not gotten anywhere with AIB directly (which isn’t surprising).

AIB are, it seems, reverting to the old worn-out arguments that failed to convince the Ombudsman previously, so you may have a good chance in that forum, but you’d need to carefully frame your arguments.

Yeah I agree its a complex issue as the FSPO didn't rule definitively in our favour so it make quantifying losses/damages more difficult so would benefit from someone versed in making these complaints and making the case properly.

So, you lost your property.

Whilst I’m unaware of the details of your insolvency arrangements, I seriously think you would benefit from having a discussion with a tracker issue financial expert (or even a Solicitor) with a view to framing your FSPO complaint in the best manner possible, or even launching legal proceedings, seeing as you have not gotten anywhere with AIB directly (which isn’t surprising).

AIB are, it seems, reverting to the old worn-out arguments that failed to convince the Ombudsman previously, so you may have a good chance in that forum, but you’d need to carefully frame your arguments.
Thanks @Jayom75, between you and @tnegun I do feel I'm not wrong in thinking I'm not getting a fair hearing. I'll seek advice and hope for the best.

Hi folks,

I got what appeared to be a generic letter of reply, however, it actually states that they expect a resolution to my issues by the 24th May 2021!

Edit - I should say what prompted this specific information was my reference to their requirement to provide a date as part of the code they signed up to. It did take a second reference to that part of the code before I got this date.

Now, I fully expect the resolution to be a letter closing the matter down, but I will of course let you know what they say.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi folks,

I got what appeared to be a generic letter of reply, however, it actually states that they expect a resolution to my issues by the 24th May 2021!

Edit - I should say what prompted this specific information was my reference to their requirement to provide a date as part of the code they signed up to. It did take a second reference to that part of the code before I got this date.

Now, I fully expect the resolution to be a letter closing the matter down, but I will of course let you know what they say.

Thanks

good work. I also sent them a similar letter a few weeks back (inspired by you) but I just got the generic letter in return. I just didn't bother following up then. But I think I now will push them for the resolution date.

I called the helpline today to query our complaints progress and request a date for resolution. I was told AIB had been granted a special dispensation by the central bank in relation to these complaints so no date is available and that they expect it to conclude soon!

I called the helpline today to query our complaints progress and request a date for resolution. I was told AIB had been granted a special dispensation by the central bank in relation to these complaints so no date is available and that they expect it to conclude soon!
They had been granted a special dispensation from the central bank? I’d like to see that. I also rang them last week looking fir an anticipated resolution date quoting the reference from shay in this thread re complaints resolution.

Back