Complaints - anyone get a response from AIB yet?

I popped a letter in the post asking for the date or the "special dispensation" claim to be verified. I'm not looking to be annoying but they've sat on this complaint since last year and I'm getting fed up now!

Any sign of the postman today?
Hi there,

I got a reply.

It started by referring to my complaint about the hardship that the failure to offer the tracker caused and my wish to be compensated. I had said that I moved house because of the mortgage and that if they had of dealt with the issue in a timely manner, I would not have moved.

They went into how I got the mortgage, the options etc however they state that they do not believe their failure caused the hardship, if the tracker was offered it would have been at a higher rate than I was paying and so tough luck effectively.

I said that if they had of offered the money a year earlier, I would have stayed put. The reply is I was told in April they would be dealing with the matter and presumably, I should have been able to look into the future, see the amount I would be compensated and assume that the matter would be dealt with quicker than the 10 years taken so far.

In conclusion therefore. "as our consideration of your complaint is now complete, we are obliged to inform you about he services of the FSPO" - please go talk to them if you are not happy.

Hi there,

I got a reply.

It started by referring to my complaint about the hardship that the failure to offer the tracker caused and my wish to be compensated. I had said that I moved house because of the mortgage and that if they had of dealt with the issue in a timely manner, I would not have moved.

They went into how I got the mortgage, the options etc however they state that they do not believe their failure caused the hardship, if the tracker was offered it would have been at a higher rate than I was paying and so tough luck effectively.

I said that if they had of offered the money a year earlier, I would have stayed put. The reply is I was told in April they would be dealing with the matter and presumably, I should have been able to look into the future, see the amount I would be compensated and assume that the matter would be dealt with quicker than the 10 years taken so far.

In conclusion therefore. "as our consideration of your complaint is now complete, we are obliged to inform you about he services of the FSPO" - please go talk to them if you are not happy.

that’s disappointing. What was the main crux of your complaint may I ask? I’m also waiting on a complaint I have with them.

the ombudsman is very quick by the way. My sister approached the ombudsman a few weeks ago re her complaint and they were on it straightaway. They are now in the mediation phase with AIb and they hope to have a reply very soon they said.

the ombudsman is very quick by the way. My sister approached the ombudsman a few weeks ago re her complaint and they were on it straightaway. They are now in the mediation phase with AIb and they hope to have a reply very soon they said.

The mediation is quick. But when that fails as it will, it will take at least a year for a decision based on recent experience.

Brendan

that’s disappointing. What was the main crux of your complaint may I ask? I’m also waiting on a complaint I have with them.

The main crux was that there failure to offer the tracker, when they should have, resulted in my deciding to sell our home and downsize to a more affordable mortgage, in circumstances where if the tracker (at an appropriate rate) was available, we would have stayed.
The second part was that if they had of rectified the mistake via the reimbursement of monies at even a year or so before they did, again, I would have stayed. Them taking ten years was another failure.
I did not bring up the interest issue.

@Shay75 go to the Ombudsman or a Solicitor. That you had to sell your house is significant.
i agree, however, it is subjective.

I "believed" that the mortgage was excessive. However, I was meeting the payments and not in arrears.

One person could say that I was being prudent and responsible by avoiding arrears.

Another could say that by me not falling into arrears, I was managing the mortgage and therefore it was a choice which I selected to make.

Now, I can put my hand on the bible and swear under oath that *if* I was given the appropriate tracker or if I secured the payment from AIB I would have stayed put. There was absolutely no other factors involved in that decision. I literally moved a stone's throw away from my house, my kid stayed in the same school, my partner and I work in the same jobs.

But - I can see why someone would say I still had a choice - tough!

I was wondering if anyone has had AIB twist their version of things in the replies?
I got my final response,in it they said I sold my house, which I hadn't (they did after surrender) I called the number and asked them to correct the info before I went to the Ombudsman and got another letter yesterday which is even more incorrect. I rang again and the guy I spoke to said to proceed to the Ombudsman as AIB will have to give correct info when the Ombudsman reuqests it.
I can't understand how, after spending so long (6 months) going over my complaint, they would still give a glib, patronising, incorrect response.
And still claim interest rates weren't offered because they would have been too high.
It's getting farcical.

I can't understand how, after spending so long (6 months) going over my complaint, they would still give a glib, patronising, incorrect response.
Call me cynical, it’s because it’s very much in their interest to do so. By obfuscating, they’re hoping you’ll just give up and go away.

Call me cynical, it’s because it’s very much in their interest to do so. By obfuscating, they’re hoping you’ll just give up and go away.

You are being cynical.

Incompetence is a much more likely explanation.

They are snowed under. The complaints are complex. They might not even have access to the files remotely.

Brendan

I got my final response,in it they said I sold my house, which I hadn't (they did after surrender) I called the number and asked them to correct the info before I went to the Ombudsman and got another letter yesterday which is even more incorrect.

This suits you.

The Ombudsman gets very annoyed with financial institutions who do not handle complaints efficiently.

If it's only a minor error, he won't pay much attention to it.

But if it's significant, he will factor it into the award of compensation.

Brendan

This suits you.

The Ombudsman gets very annoyed with financial institutions who do not handle complaints efficiently.

If it's only a minor error, he won't pay much attention to it.

But if it's significant, he will factor it into the award of compensation.

Brendan
Thanks Brendan
I do hope alright that their recent replies have been an own goal for them.

Back