Competition and Consumer Protection Commission seeks views on BoI Acquisition of KBC

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I have just seen this now. They wanted submissions by last Tuesday.

The Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (CCPC) has opened a so-called ‘phase 1’ or early-stage examination of Bank of Ireland’s plan to buy KBC’s Irish mortgages and take on savings.

As part of its work, the CCPC has called for submissions from third parties by May 4.

A wide range of business and consumer representatives, trade unions, political parties and individuals are expected to make submissions.

There doesn't seem to be a similar one into permanent tsb's acquisition of Ulster Bank's mortgage book?

I think the PTSB acquisition of certain Ulster Bank assets and liabilities is moving slower than the BoI acquisition of certain KBC assets and liabilities.

Hence, maybe it is not at CCPC stage yet.

Here are my initial thoughts and first draft. I would welcome any input as I will send it off tomorrow.

Submission to the CCPC on proposed acquisition by Bank of Ireland of certain assets of KBC

The consideration of this transaction should not be done in isolation from the mooted sale of Ulster Bank's mortgage book to permanent tsb which is very similar in nature.

It is very important that the CCPC does not just assess competition based on the number of lenders in the market. The behaviour of the lenders and their treatment of customers are more important factors.

KBC competes for new business on mortgage rate alone and does not use cash-back incentives to maintain high rates for existing customers.

BoI keeps its existing rates high and attracts new customers with cash-back incentives. Without these incentives it would get no new business at the rates they charge. As they have high rates for new customers, they are under no pressure to reduce rates for existing customers.

If the situation were reversed, and KBC were buying Bank of Ireland's mortgage book, I would welcome it as it would be the replacement of an expensive lender with a competitive lender.

It is very alarming that a very expensive lender is buying a competitive lender.

1620627105731.png

A typical KBC customer who is on a <80% LTV whose fixed rate expires at the moment, could fix again for 3 years at 2.3%. It would cost them a full 0.7% extra if their loan is bought by Bank of Ireland.

However, the CCPC should be very careful about any restrictions it places on KBC’s disposal of its mortgage book.

It is bad news for competition, but we need more mortgage lenders in the Irish market. If we make it difficult for them to exit the market, potential entrants might be reluctant to commit themselves to the Irish market in case they could not reverse their decision if it did not work out. So KBC should be relatively free to dispose of its mortgage book to the highest bidder.

It would be best for consumers if the highest bidder were a European bank wishing to enter the market and compete with the existing lenders, but if they want to do that, they should outbid Bank of Ireland for the mortgage book.

The CCPC should approve the sale but subject to certain conditions

The Central Bank should have stopped the discrimination between new and existing customers as it constitutes unfair treatment of customers which is prohibited by the Consumer Protection Code.

However, the CCPC should now make it a condition of the takeover that for all its business:
  • Existing customers must be offered the rates and incentives on offer to new customers
  • Cash-backs be discontinued other than refunding the legal costs of switchers
If that is done, the normal competition would return to the mortgage market and the sale to Bank of Ireland should be approved.

Last edited:
Thanks for continuing the good fight on behalf of mortgage payers.

small comment: Maybe competitive is a better word as opposed to expensive in your opening paragraph.

Overall your logic seems very sound to me.

I wonder if there any halfway house you could purpose, i.e. anything reasonable that can be done to protect kbc customers (if they decide they will not enforce your suggestions about rates being accessible to existing customers/banning cash back).

I mean, if you don't get what you really want is there anything else you could suggest. Which while not perfect would help.

On your table adding a column showing the absolute percentage point difference and/or the percentage difference (i.e. 20 to 30 p.c higher) would make it easier for the reader to see the difference

I wonder if there any halfway house you could propose,

I can't think of anything.

KBC gives a 0.2% discount to existing current account holders.
They will have to figure some way of maintaining that.

However, knowing BoI, they will bang up the rates to a very high level and give a 0.2% discount from that.

Brendan

@Brendan Burgess

It's a long time since I looked at this, but I think the CPCC looks at pretty limited criteria, and only has a narrow set of potential remedies.

Do you think your submission is relevant given their objectives and powers?

I think the outcome we want is competition, lower interest rates, and protecting customers that will not be able to switch.

- enforce interest rates on the purchaser for some period of time.
- allow customers with fixed rates expiring over next few months sign up again using existing kbc rates.
- enforce a maximum price relative to best rate on the market.

But I'm not sure that any of these are reasonable.

I really have no idea of what their powers are.

I have been in receipt of many a submission over the years which makes excellent points but which is (sadly) not relevant to the powers of the body in question.

You would be better off lobbying the policymakers - specifically the Department of Finance and Department of Enterprise, Trade, and Employment.

Sorry Brendan, maybe I’m missing something, but you’ve missed the deadline for submission, haven’t you?

Back