Compensation from Government Dept for Someone Brought up in Convent Orphanage?

Poppet

I heard on the radio today a woman mention that she had recently received some compensation from the government due to her upbringing in a childrens convent orphanage decades ago.

I know someone who was also brought up in one of these places decades ago and I would like to pass on any information to her concerning this.

Would anyone know which government dept could be contacted in order for her to lodge a similar claim?

Thank you for any information.

Surely it is only people who unfortunately suffered abuse while in Government run/sponsored institutions? The mere fact of having been in one of those institutions doesn't entitle someone to compensation I would have thought.

As far as I know that's the case. Poppet didn't post details of her (?) friend's situation so it's impossible to infer anything about the merits of any case that they might have.

Surely it is only people who unfortunately suffered abuse while in Government run/sponsored institutions? The mere fact of having been in one of those institutions doesn't entitle someone to compensation I would have thought.
I believe your assumption is correct.

Just as an FYI,

The Residential Institutions Redress Board stopped accepting new applications from 15 December 2005.

It may now be too late to make an application, but I suggest you contact them through the link provided above.

To date, I believe over 9,000 applications were received by the Board before the closing date last year and by 31 December 2005 more than 4,000 had been processed. (This information is taken from the RIRB 2005 Annual report here).

Thank you CMCR for the additional information. I wasn't aware of that, thanks for letting me know.

Back