Comparison of childcare costs around country

3.5 per hour in county Cork. Meals are extra 3 euro approx a day. Must provide all nappies,wipes etc...Community based creche.
Pay 97.50 per week for 9am-2pm with lunches provided. Do not pay for Bank Holidays,Christmas or Easter holidays (creche closed) or days when child is sick.

How do you get into a local community creche? Is it means tested?

Community creches have 4 payment streams
1) for those on a social welfare - heavily subsidised
2) Medical card holders - less heavily subsidised, still cheap
3) Those with GP visit card, less than market rates
4) market rates for all others.

There are not many community creches around, mostly community playgroups.

How do you get into a local community creche? Is it means tested?
Ours is not means tested. I'm not sure if the application processes for all community creches are the similar. Why don't you contact your local one and ask?

We are not in categories (1) to (3) but pay the same as everybody else.
There seem to be loads in Dublin city centre (D1/7/2/8 for example). Plenty of playgroups too.

As far as I know this method of funding community creches and playgroups is only coming into effect on 1 Sept 2008. At the moment the criteria is still being written so there is still a bit of uncertainty about it but it does look like this method is here to stay. The current method of providing staffing grants will be finishing shortly as it was felt by the powers that be that people on higher incomes were benefitting by using the community creches which were being subsidised by the taxpayer so that method is being abolished. Community creches and playschools will from 1 Sept receive funding based on the number of disadvantaged families using them.

Do you have any links to info about the proposed new regime?

Not sure when it dates from but [broken link removed] might be of interest in the context of this thread.

Oh - just found which might be relevant?

Funnily enough our community creche manager has asked several times if we are OK with/can afford the fees, which we can. I get the impression that if we could not then they would be waived in part or full.

Oh - just found which might be relevant?

Funnily enough our community creche manager has asked several times if we are OK with/can afford the fees, which we can. I get the impression that if we could not then they would be waived in part or full.

We had to fill in a form last October to basically see if we fit into any of the categories previously mentioned. Up until last October we wouldn't have but due to my DH's recent illness we do so don't know if we will pay reduced/same/other rates later in the year.

you go.

I'm not sure if category 3 is fully decided yet, there was MUCH debate over it.

Unless you can prove you are in categories 1, 2 or 3, your fees will not be waived.

"as it was felt by the powers that be that people on higher incomes were benefitting by using the community creches which were being subsidised by the taxpayer so that method is being abolished"

It was not just felt, it was proved to be true.

In Kerry afterschool 25 euro per week and child fed. Full time out of school ie holidays 50 eoro per week. Pre school 30 euro per week. It is community based and any one can access it and as above from september 2008 categories 1,2,3,and 4 will come into affect.

Offaly Area

My sister pays 900 Euro per month for her 3 year old form 7:30 to 4:00,
meals are included

Were possibly be going to start with my 7yr old in after school care for 4hrs (1:30-5:30) 5 days a fortnight, (ie 2 days one week and 3 the next, i work shifts).

Is €20/day ie €5/hour too stingy? It's a casual thing, ie a mother we trust who collect her own child at the same time daily? We dont want to rip the woman off but we want to pay the norm aswell. The good part is that were not paying for days we dont need her. She was also available for more in the summer.

Not sure what happened to my original post in this thread but it seems to have disappeared. It was about our local community creche which cost €90 p.w. for 09:00-16:30. Unfortunately circumstances (basically the hours and nothing to do with fees or the care provided which was excellent) have dictated that alternative care offering longer hours is required. I have been lucky to have found (on foot of a callback from an inquiry months ago) a place in another city centre place near work and convenient to home operating 08:00 to 18:00 which costs €155 p.w. (extra €5 each other week for Gymboree I think).

I pay €90 pw for my 2 yo - Mon-Friday 8.30am to 1.30 pm. Breakfast and dinner included. I'm in Kerry.

I pay 750 € for my almost two year old daughter. Creche is in Dublin, Fairview - full time 7.30am - 6.30pm.

Comparing with you guys, it looks like a have a bargain :rolleyes: Some of the Creche prices are just unbelievable!!!

€750 p.w.? Or per calendar month? Or per 4 week "month"? What is the annualised cost?

just proves our country has gone to the dogs when its cheaper to send your teenage son to blackrock college or belvedere or any other private school per year than it is to send a baby to a creche!!!!!!!

Back