Company who will identify source of bad smell

Jeffpa

There is a really bad smell in my kitchen, last time same problem called a company who came out and identified problem it does not seem to be the same issue. No dampness/visible drain blockage. I absolutely don't remember which company it was they were some kind of drain co, can anyone recommend someone who would do this in the Lucan area?

Are we married???
My wife says to me this morning, there is a damp smell in the kitchen, also in Lucan.

I removed the u-bend assy under the sink and gave it a good clean. Its incredible the amount of gunk lurking there. So far so good.

Are we married???
Hmm I don't think so trust me if my husband found the source of this smell and it was sorted he wouldn't be in fear of coming home from work.........I wish it was that simple, he has dismantled sink, washing machine, dishwasher and still no closer to a solution

When the sink was dismantled, I presume you completely removed the trap/U bend? If so, was there any hint of the smell from the pipe leading to the drain? Same goes for the drainage from washing machines/ dishwashers, and hint of the smell from the pipes their outlets connect to.

I'm guessing the previous company you used were Dyno rod, Drain Doctor or their likes.

Most likely cause of smell in a kitchen is drainage, after that, you're looking at food waste that has fallen somewhere inaccessible, or rodents (dead or alive)

Yep u bend etc cleaned out and nothing unusual happening there. I have someone calling tomorrow. Under presses/cooker/fridge etc all checked thoroughly with snake camera and all ok.. Also no sign of rodents dead or alive! I just picked a drain co from the golden pages and will be out tomorrow hopefully will get the problem solved

Years ago I can recall getting a bad smell in a kitchen that we could not identify and it turned out I had got high wattage bulbs for light fittings which heated up too much and this heat was attacking the plastic covering and smelling terrible.

There is a really bad smell in my kitchen,

Have you checked behind your fridge ?

I had tenants who insisted there were dead rats in the ceiling, smell in kitchen was unbelievable, problem turned out to be the fridge.

Fridges have a small drain inside them for water which leads to a tray which sits on or near the motor at the back, the heat makes the few drops of water evaporate away harmlessly and never needs emptying.

Should you spill milk or meat juices in your fridge and it gets to this drain it will end up sitting in the tray on the warm motor, need I say any more. You would not see this with a camera, you would need to pull the fridge out, if it's the problem you will know immediately.

In this case the fridge/freezer was integrated so the smell was coming out at the top of the units near the ceiling.

Worth a look.

Yep u bend etc cleaned out and nothing unusual happening there. I have someone calling tomorrow. Under presses/cooker/fridge etc all checked thoroughly with snake camera and all ok.. Also no sign of rodents dead or alive! I just picked a drain co from the golden pages and will be out tomorrow hopefully will get the problem solved

Not sure your problem is drain related, but at least the drain company should be able to confirm that.

years ago we had a bad smell coming into kitchen - we eventually narrowed it down to the main cooker switch - i turned off the power and took out the switch - there was a poor mouse toasted to the switch contacts.

Olfactory determination (sniffing!) was the key to identifying our problem.

Had another issue more recently with a siphon effect in our sinks (twin sink, twin u-bend emptying into single drain) - if one sink was emptied it caused a siphon on the u-trap of the second sink allowing vapours to escape from drains - I fixed it with 2 anti siphon units for the waste pipe - cost a total of 9 euro.

Back