Company name error on cheque

shopgirl

Will a bank allow you to lodge a cheque when there's an error on it - the person to whom the cheque was written is a sole trader but the cheque is written to a Limited Company.- trades as Joe Bloggs but cheque written to Joe Bloggs Ltd. thanks

If they notice it, they will probably reject it.

But lodge it with a few other cheques and they probably won't notice it.

Brendan

Does anybody know what the procedure should be if a bank accept a cheque with a trade name on it to a personal account and process it with the payers bank before recalling it? For example if the cheque says Joe Bloggs plumber and it gets lodged and cleared to Joe Bloggs personal account. Do the bank have to issue a draft made out to Joe Bloggs plumber to rectify the situation?

If a cheque is made payable to Joe Bloggs plumber or Joe Bloggs, plumber (with a comma), this could be considered as indicating an occupation, and there is no obligation on the bank to check his occupation. In fact, if Joe Bloggs is a plumber, there is no obligation on him to have a bank account for his trade receipts.
If Joe has a business account and a personal one, and this cheque is lodged to the wrong account (for whatever reason), then only Joe can rectify the situation.
If however, he trades as "Joe Bloggs The Plumber" as a trading name, then he should register it as a business name and make appropriate arrangements for those cheques to be lodged to an appropriate business account.

I lodged a cheque made out to Joe Bloggs Plumbing to my account Joe Bloggs. The bank processed the cheque and it came in to my account and left the payors account. My bank then said they should not have processed the cheque and gave me back a draft made out to Joe Bloggs Plumbing. There is no bank account with this name and they were aware of this. Does it have to be lodged to a business account if it has plumbing as opposed to plumber? Can they do this after processing it? Surely it should have been stopped before processing so I could rectify the error. What can I do with this draft now?

Back