Company failed to renew domain name despite payment received.

Stapeler

Hi. Not sure if this is a legal or internet topic, any help would be appreciated.
I registered a Business name with CRO and a domain name in 2007. For the past two years in January I've received renewal invoice which I've paid. Yesterday I found that a company is now using this domain name, I checked and discovered that it expired last year despite the fact that I paid for the renewal each year.
I spoke to the provider today who's responded by saying that the name wasn't renewed as I didn't reply to their email to renew, the billing continued due to human error. They will refund the two years payments and "apologies for inconvenience caused"
Obviously the name is gone and legally obtained by the new owner which I have to accept.
Is the provider at fault and do I have any rescourse?

is the domain a .ie domain?
if so you could contact the Irish domain register and see if they can help.

To get a .ie domain you are meant to provide information showing you have right to the domain i.e. business registration, trading name etc

is the domain a .ie domain?
if so you could contact the Irish domain register and see if they can help.

To get a .ie domain you are meant to provide information showing you have right to the domain i.e. business registration, trading name etc

Won't be .ie because they are kept for months before been released back to the market.

Yes it's a .ie domain, I spoke with DomainRegistry who told me it expired March '08. Renewals up to date (till 2010) with hosting company who apparently "forgot" to renew it. Originally I posted this in Legal section to determine if I can claim costs from hosting company for expences incurred, ie website development, printing & buiness cards etc.

Back