Company ceased trading but now requesting payment 17 months later?

Possible Compromise: He can hand write an invoice/recipe and you can give him a cheque.

No invoice - no payment.

Was there a written quote for the work, and was it on company paper?

Do you actually know that this guy was owner of the company, or just staff?

Did this guy actually do the work?

No invoice - no payment.

Was there a written quote for the work, and was it on company paper?

Do you actually know that this guy was owner of the company, or just staff?

Did this guy actually do the work?
Agreed

No

Owner

Has to be assessed

He was asked for a full VAT invoice, still not provided

Thanks for the responses

It does seem odd and ideally you would get an invoice but would you really be ok with not paying someone for a piece of work they have done for you - just on the basis they cannot furnish you with an invoice (as dodge as that might be)?

What work did they do to heating system, how significant was it. How much did they quote you at outset?

My thoughts are, if the guy has nothing to hide, let him go through the courts for the money. To me, this is a fraud and I could end up paying twice or paying someone who should be paying tax and isn’t registered.
That leaves me with no comeback at all

My thoughts are, if the guy has nothing to hide, let him go through the courts for the money.
Outrageous attitude. No wonder honest householders find it hard to find tradesmen to do work, and no wonder they're so often exorbitantly expensive when there's a heavy bad debt risk premium to be covered.

company had ceased trading.

He was asked for a full VAT invoice, still not provided

It is a debt owed to the company and the liquidators should be paid

The fact that the company has ceased trading does not mean that it cannot collect its debts.

The fact that the company has ceased trading does not mean that a liquidator has been appointed. (But you could check that on the CRO website)

The company must issue an invoice and you must make out a cheque in the name of the company.

It is not up to you to decide whether he charges VAT or not. If the company issues you an invoice, you should pay it.

In the meantime, I suggest you write to the company's registered office and say that you have not been charged for the work and will pay in full once an invoice is issued.

If the company has been liquidated, you should write to the liquidator.

Brendan

No paperwork whatsoever provided by the chap but he is rocking up to the house weekly. I am not here when he comes.
This is on the verge of becoming harrassment. Keep a written record of every occasion he calls to the door.

If it persists I would send a solicitor's letter to the worker advising him not to approach you or your family for any purpose.

In the meantime, I suggest you write to the company's registered office and say that you have not been charged for the work and will pay in full once an invoice is issued.

If the company has been liquidated, you should write to the liquidator.

Don't do this. You will only bring trouble on yourself. You have zero responsibility to the liquidator as you were never invoiced in the first place.

I had issues with damage caused by a tradesman last year. My wife wrote a letter of complaint to the company owner and we were never billed for the balance for the job even though it was a high three-figure sum. In my view if an entity or person doesn't bill you straight away then they are not looking for the money.

Absolutely, I would.

There is no defence to a bounced cheque. It's proof of the debt.

And that is far better than not being paid at all.

But there is no evidence that he has tried to stiff anyone. Either you or I am misinterpreting him.

Brendan

To be fair, I think that Nordkapp has made it quite clear that he wants to pay this bill. He just does not want to pay it twice.

Brendan
No, he has said that he's happy to force this chap to go to court to get his money.

And I can't think of any circumstances where he he would have to pay it twice. No liquidator is ever going to be in a position to go door to door collecting money from householders.

Back