Company Adamant It's Trading But No Goods On Sale By Retailers

trajan

When I was once calling a US supplier and having trouble getting through (delays, receptionists saying to call back, etc), it eventually dawned on me that maybe they were involved in a Chapter 11 situation. This would require them to maintain a public front of everything as usual even though they would be legally precluded from trading till a court decision on the business status w.r.t. liquidity is made.

Now that I'm having a similar engagement (or lack of it) with a local Irish company (but not so local to get there conveniently and ask around) I'm wondering if the Irish equivalent of Chapter 11 is in play here. I say this because some of the excuses for non-supply of cheese to my local supermarket are awful doubtful. Stories of changing production lines and having to send to India for new bar codes for a major multiple . . .

Are companies under examinership obliged (in practice or by law) to present a facade of trading as usual while the court is deliberating on their deals with creditors ?

I say this because some of the excuses for non-supply of cheese to my local supermarket are awful doubtful.

What?

Do you own the supermarket?

If not, they should not be engaging with you about why your local supermarket is not stocking their products. (There are many more likely solutions than a conspiracy theory to explain the lack of supply e.g. a dispute over prices or payment.)

Just ask them where their products can be bought if there is no alternative.

Brendan

BB, this does not answer the broader question relating to putting a brave public face on examinership.

An answer to the broader question might be of benefit to customer businesses in many sectors.

I have never heard of this requirement before.

But I have heard of many reasons why a particular shop is no longer stocking products from a supplier.

Brendan

BB, this does not answer the broader question relating to putting a brave public face on examinership.

An answer to the broader question might be of benefit to customer businesses in many sectors.
It's none of your business frankly. You're just someone who buys their products as a consumer.

If a company is in examinership, that surely is a matter of public record.

You can read all about examinership here:

Back