Commuting towns by rail in Kildare

colc1

Hi guys,

I am in the process of applying to Kildare Co. Co. for affordable housing and was wondering if anyone could suggest a few good commuter towns by rail, i.e. having a regular rail service. I have Newbridge down already but looking for two other alternatives, any suggestions greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

C

The problem with Newbridge (IMHO) and any other towns on that route is that trains only go as far as Heuston. Of course you can cycle/walk/bus/luas from there, but it mightn't suit if you are working
south of Stephen's Green. Salinns and Naas is a hike from Naas, and Hazelhatch isn't that accessible from Newcastle or Celbridge. Of course there are 2 more tracks going in on this line, so capacity will improve, and when the luas lines are joined up, the rest of the city becomes more accessible.

On the other line, I'm not sure what services from Kilcock are like. You are pretty much guaranteed a seat in Maynooth in the morning, Leixlip Louisa Bridge less so, and Leixlip Confey, not at all.

Thanks Mr. ccovich as usual you're a mine of information I was looking at Maynooth there a while ago could be interesting

On the Dublin-Kildare -Portlaoise line that goes, as stated to Heuston Station, Newbridge is the the best served for trains.

Sallins has a minimal service in comparision & no trains on a Sunday.

Also, if you get on at Newbridge, you get a seat !

Is Portlaoise too far do you guys reckon to commute obviously I will spend some nights with mammy and daddy in the big smoke! :) Thanks for the input guys!

If your considering Laois,Portarlington would be nearer to Dublin than Portlaois and is also pretty well served with trains.

Maynooth has a fairly frequent timetable and will get you into Tara St. Also the advantage of nitelinks (although may not be needed if you have folks in Dublin).

Is Portlaoise too far do you guys reckon to commute obviously I will spend some nights with mammy and daddy in the big smoke! :) Thanks for the input guys!

I would say yes, it's too far too commute, but a lot depends on what value you put on a) your time and b) your own space.

Personally I rent about 10 minutes from work so don't spend any time commuting at all. That being said I looked into the possibility of commuting from Portlaois at one point when I was looking into a job not so far from Heuston - sounded ideal, right? But then I calculated up the time I would spend getting to work, and factor in some outside-my-control issues such as problems - occasionally - on the rail network and added in other factors such as getting to the train on time in the morning and eventually came to the conclusion that my time was worth more than owning a house.

I realise that's something that a lot of people in this country find difficult to comprehend - but ultimately I think it's screwy the way that house ownership seems to be far higher than life quality in this country. If you're asking if "somewhere is too far too commute" the odds are a) you're not from that somewhere and therefore have no local ties and don't know it well and b) it is.

Back