Commuter Query : Drogheda/Dublin by Bus

erw fran

Scenario : A colleague is 7 months pregnant, currently commuting by train. The Connolly to Donabate (where she can usually get a seat) stand at night is getting increasingly tiring for her and the train is apparantly so busy at the moment that even getting to the seating area where people can see her is a minefield.

Question : Would changing to commuting via the bus be a viable option? could anybody give some feedback on journey times, availability of parking, demand, queues etc. Would a 25 minute stand in her condition be a good trade off?

(She has assured me that she can stand, there is nothing medically wrong with her, but that maybe this is an easier option)

Any relevant feedback welcome, thank you.

There is a good express service from Drogheda to Dublin (every hour with guaranteed seats) via dublin airport. It depends where her destination is as the bus only makes certain stops when it gets to Dublin i.e. whitehall, drumcondra, O'Connell street and busaras unless she wants to get the service bus which can be quite slow as it goes through Balbriggan etc.

I commute by bus from Drogheda to Dublin using the Matthews Coach (private bus operator). Buses leave from Drogheda every 30 minutes and take approx 1hr 15min to 1hr 20min to get to Parnell St terminus. There are a few stops in Drogheda - McCabes Garage, North Rd, Texaco Garage, Rathmullen Rd, BD and The Thatch on Donore Rd. The bus does fill up, but everyone gets a seat.

There's a public carpark on the Donore Rd which has spaces up until 8.15am which is suitable for the Matthews bus and the Bus Eireann station, should your friend use that service.

Buses home are from Parnell St every half hour and there isn't any problem getting a seat.

Matthews also run a bus starting in Grange Rath via Bettystown & Laytown if that's handier.

Check out for timetables.

I used to use the train too, but switched to the bus because of the increasing crowds.

Back