Commute times + distances

Up at about 8.15
Leave House about 8.40
In Work about 8.50/8.55

Leave work about 5.30
Home about 5.45

Am living with Mammy at the moment till new house is ready and after that it will be about 10 miles down the Naas Road, so I've probably been spoiled up to now, though am hoping the commute will not increase that much more than another 15/20mins.!

Many times I feel as if I am evading the CIA.

Get up times. 6.55 (if hair needs washing and styline), 7.10 (if hair doesn't need styling and can be attacked with GHD), 7.20 (if by some miracle hair is not ressembling golliwog), 7.25 if Gift Grub is particularly good.

7.50 Leave house, and drive to Phibsboro.

8.20-8.30 Abandon car on side of road and wait at bus stop.

8.45-9.00 Arrive at work

5.30-5.45 Leave work

6.00 Pick up car

6.45-7.00 Get home.

Get up at 7.50.
Brush teeth 7.51.
Wash face (quick splash) 7.52
Shave. 7.53
Dry face 7.56
Gel hair 7.57
Wipe gel off hands 7.58
Make coffee/toast 7.59
drink coffee/watch news 8.00
Wash cup/plate/knife/spoon 8.15
Leave for work 8.20
Arrive 8.30 (2 miles away

Ah, the bliss of country living! :D

Okay, both of us are up at 5:40Am.
Get Daughter up at 6am. One dresses her, other makes lunch and packs bag for creche.
Out the door at 6:40am (After ten minutes of convincing madam that brushing your hair is not that bad)
At Creche anything from 7:35 to 8am depending on roadworks, traffic, weather, whether Jupiter is in my starsign who knows?.
At work anything from 8:10 to 8:35am. I offically start at 8:30.

Typical evening commute: Leave work anytime between 5:30 to 7:30pm,
usually home an hour and 40 minutes later. Take away 10 minutes if leaving later. Put madam to bed at 8pm if I'm there on time.

Journey distance 52 miles one way.

MORNING
Up at 7:30
Mooch around eating breakfast til 8
Get Daughter organised if required
Sniff Armpits to determine if shower is required
If not mooch around until 8:15 otherwise shoiwer
Get in car @ 8:20
15mile communte
Arrive in work at around 8:45

EVENING
Leave at 17:00-17:10
home at around 17:30

Left Dublin in 98 and never looked back!

15-20 minute walk to work living and working in the same Dublin central postal district.

Snap.

Slightly off topic...I couldn't see myself moving to the suburbs, even to get a bigger place - I don't think it's worth it as commuting really stresses me out. Used to commute two hours a day until I changed jobs a year ago, I find I have more energy and feel more relaxed.

I understand how people think Dublin's a hole...if they feel that they are forced to live/commute there to work in their industry. Has anyone solved this by moving out of Dublin and working remotely? I, on the other hand, like city life and wouldn't enjoy living in the country.

Get up at 7.50.
Brush teeth 7.51.
Wash face (quick splash) 7.52

Baaad Welfarite - you should brush your teeth for at least 2 minutes! ;)

Me - up just after news headlines and 1/2 fag (8.03), shower, body lotion, brush teeth (leccy brush has 2 minute timer!) - mooch around upstairs until lodger has fed dog and cat, leave house 8.30, in work 8.45.

Leave work 5.30 (honest boss!), home 5.45.

Sarah

www.rea.ie

up at 7.00am leave hse at 8.00, arrive it work for 8.45, drive 27 miles to work and 27 miles home, take all back roads, could'nt be bothered with M50 and all that crap, and I live also in the sticks of kildare, one person in work lives nearer to the job in miles than me and it takes them longer..

Get up at 6.10am
Leave house at 6.45am
Travel via car with dh to a nearby town with better bus routes
Get bus at 7.15am
Get into work at 8.20am (on a good day traffic wise)
Leave work at 5.00pm
Home by 6.30pm
Which is all pretty good for a combination of public transport and sharing a car with dh.

Following times are for my husband. Commute is from Gormanston Co. Meath to Bray Co. Wicklow

Up at 5.45am in at 7am - or up at 6.10 in at 8am (if hes lucky)

Finish at 4pm home at 6pm - or finish at 4.30pm home any time between 6.30 & 7.30 (depending on traffic)!!!

Does he need his car during the day? Why not get the train from Gormanstown station to bray?

Up at 7:21 - Leave for work between 8 and 8:10
Drive 30 miles - 2l td and arrive in work between 8:45 and 9:10 depending on traffic.
Leave between 5:30 and 6pm and home for 6:30ish

all country driving but pass through one town which should be bypassed by the end of the year.

Get up 6:25, leave house 7:20.
In work at 7:26 - 7:30 (depending on lights).
Leave work 15:30 - 17:00 depending on workload. Home in 8 - 15 min.
2 mile drive in dublin suburbs (or 35 min walk).

I'm new here. Im quite shocked how early people are getting up at in the morning and the little ones too. I work from home instead of communiting into the city. Its amazing how much more work is done at home with broadband and a separate space for working. I made a case to the boss and he agreed on a trial basis and its paid off for me and him. I think a lot more should do it, put their case forward to their boss and push for it. Travel to work once a week.
Just my 2 cents.

Up at 6pm
Have Dinner
Leave house at 8.10pm (60 mile drive to Waterford)
Arrive at work 9.40-9.45 pm
Leave work at 8.15am
Home by 10am approx (x4 times a week)

I'm new here. Im quite shocked how early people are getting up at in the morning and the little ones too. I work from home instead of communiting into the city. Its amazing how much more work is done at home with broadband and a separate space for working. I made a case to the boss and he agreed on a trial basis and its paid off for me and him. I think a lot more should do it, put their case forward to their boss and push for it. Travel to work once a week.
Just my 2 cents.

Am currently in the process of negotiating this but am facing a lot of reluctance from my company to adopt such an approach. I've put forward a cogent proposal outlining all the positives, both for me and for the company, but they aren't killing themselves to get back to me with an answer. Luckyg - do you have any suggestions on how best to put a case forward ?

Get up at 630
leave house at 722
get train at 734
usually get seat or floor space
get into pearse at 820
get into work at 835
leave at 1655 for the 1713 or at 1710 for the 1729
latest im home is 1815 and its STILL not good enough. I work late as its demanded although i skive out of late work as much as is humanely possible,im here til 730ish tonight.

Would give up professional career in IT to do manual labour if it meant i could build my own home in a quiet part of ireland and live away from the urban chaos that has engulfed our towns,
the tw*ts that shove onto/off the train,
the muppets that fight over opened closed windows,
the idiots that scrum through station doors at night,
the ignorants who bounce off you when walking without so much as an apology.

I hate Dublin city, its an absolute hole, the black hole of leinster it should be called.

Give me a house thats about 50 miles and 2 hours drive down the worst pot holed roads and up a dirt track embedded in the side of some godforsaken mountain bog with a nice acre or two around it, a stable, a horse, a couple of dogs and a thatched roof.

Ah thats the life... rant over.

Couldn't agree more!!

Am currently in the process of negotiating this but am facing a lot of reluctance from my company to adopt such an approach. I've put forward a cogent proposal outlining all the positives, both for me and for the company, but they aren't killing themselves to get back to me with an answer. Luckyg - do you have any suggestions on how best to put a case forward ?

I know we're going way off 'car and motoring issues' here but just to reply to you Gianni, I do not have any suggestions as I wouldnt advise anyone what I did. I put it to the boss I was leaving if I couldnt work from home. If your company rejects the idea then you need to decide is this your only option.

gianni said:
do you have any suggestions on how best to put a case forward ?
A previous employer of mine allowed people to work from home. You had to apply, and in you application outline what your tasks/roles were & how they would be accomplished by working from home. You also had to outline what communication interaction was needed with your boss, your colleagues & team and with customers and how this would work. You then had to outline if it was implemented how it could be measured/monitored if things were working out or not. This usually included a monthly check-in meeting and then a 6 month review. If things were working out after 6mths and there were no change in job circumstances, it was allowed continue for another 6 months, and so on.

Currently commuting from Maynooth to Leopardstwon/Stepaside area, 22 miles each way. Driving a 1.4 petrol and spend about 40/50 per week on fuel and takes about 2K per year out of my salary.

Am in car by 6.30 AM. In work by 7 (on a good day), but usually 7.10.
Study until 8, then do some work. Work doesn't really start until 9 for most people in here but I can't stand being parked on the M50 at rush hour twice in a day.

Try and leave dead on 5pm and have been getting home around 6/6.10 of late though the norm is around 6.30. But could be in work until all hours in the busy season.

When I get home, I try and hit the gym for an hour straight away. By the time I've showered and eaten dinner it's 8PM. Find myself in bed by 10 most evenings, if I haven't already fallen asleep on the couch.

In my mid 20's and I'm sure this routine has had an effect on my personal life. There's no way I could do this for 3/4 years (short term view). Midweek is just a blur to me, all days feel the same. Weekends are over before they've started.

It beats me why financial service companies don't look more closely at locating in an area like Maynooth. Given the amount of people who work in this sector that live in the surrounding area.

Have been doing this one since July 05:

Morning:
05.13 Get Up
06.15 Leave house to drive to train station
06.33 Catch train
08.20 Get off train
08.30 Arrive at work

Evening:
16.50 Leave work
17.05 Catch train
18.30 Get off train
18.40 Arrive home
(On a good evening)

Total round trip = 155 miles per day

Saving like a mad thing trying to get a place of my own... but will need almost a quarter of a million cash if I'm going to afford the average Dublin house.
Didn't envisage this when I was filling in my CAO 7 years ago!!

Back