Commutable to Blackrock for under 450k

Look at Shankill too if you're going as far as Bray. Great park/beach and on the dart.

Albeit from last year, should give you an idea of average house prices by stop.

Luas-Dart_Q1-2019_Blog-FB-Dart-South.jpg

Okay great thanks, so the Dalkey one is probably a nicer location, but Carysfort still fairly decent. Both are around 75m2 so pretty small but manageable. Outside this I'll keep an eye on Bray, Stillorgan, Kilmacud etc

With a budget of €450k I would be looking for a bigger house in a decent location. 75sqm would be very small for a family of 4.

Are you completely married to Sion Hill? You have plenty time to secure places in other secondary schools for your girls.

Did you look at this one, near one of the nicest roads in Ireland. It is small, but imagine being able to live there. I would prefer
here to the Arkendale one, even though it is all nice and bright and looks great. It is a bit far away from the centre of things. I would put in an offer now, 50 below asking for the meany property, if Castle Estates are looking at the news, they be mad not to take it. Loreto is a few grand a year for secondary, newpark, st andrews sion etc all on the dart. Dalkey is a really great place to live, if you can squeeze yourself in, you wont regret it. i went on a bus for over an hour to my school. Dont let that get in the way of a nice house, i know people travelling all over the place, their kids grow up, move out and the longer they in school and travelling the less time to be getting up to trouble.

Are you completely married to Sion Hill? You have plenty time to secure places in other secondary schools for your girls.
[/QUOTE]

I'm just starting to see that I might need to be flexible on this. It's a forever home after all. Are you familiar with and other non fee paying schools in South Co Dublin that have great reputations? I'd love to send them to Dalkey Loreto but even at 4k a year that's 8k óntop of mortgage payments.

Thanks for your help

Thanks Dopey1.
It looks like a great location but at 65M and a 2 bed I think we'd really struggle.

I'm just starting to see that I might need to be flexible on this. It's a forever home after all. Are you familiar with and other non fee paying schools in South Co Dublin that have great reputations? I'd love to send them to Dalkey Loreto but even at 4k a year that's 8k óntop of mortgage payments.

Thanks for your help
[/QUOTE]

I think you need to take lifestyle into account too. Dalkey and Blackrock are some of the most expensive parts of the country. If you live there, you will constantly be looking at what others have. You, your wife and your kids will also be mixing with people much wealthier than you and you will find yourself spending more on life. If you can't really afford it, that will be a problem. Don't stretch yourself to get a small house in a postcode you can't really afford. Spend the money wisely in an area that you will enjoy living in, in a house that is suitable for 4 of you.

There are plenty of transport links to Sion Hill for your daughters. Let them commute every day, like most other secondary school kids do.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Thanks for your help

I think you need to take lifestyle into account too. Dalkey and Blackrock are some of the most expensive parts of the country. If you live there, you will constantly be looking at what others have. You, your wife and your kids will also be mixing with people much wealthier than you and you will find yourself spending more on life. If you can't really afford it, that will be a problem. Don't stretch yourself to get a small house in a postcode you can't really afford. Spend the money wisely in an area that you will enjoy living in, in a house that is suitable for 4 of you.

There are plenty of transport links to Sion Hill for your daughters. Let them commute every day, like most other secondary school kids do.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie
[/QUOTE]
Hi Steven that is bonkers advice. We drive bangers. I have v wealthy friends and v poor ones here. We dont give a monkey's. I have a lovely home that is tiny. 4 of us in a 2 bed. Our garden a mess. We have the most fab views. The atmosphere here is great. Nobody flashes money. Our kids mix with kids from mansions who shop in lidl and and kids who live on the beach in a leaky cottage that saw better days in the 80s. Dalkey is so lovely. Newpark free and woodbrook in shankill and loreto Bray v g.

Thanks for the recommendations. I must admit, Dalkey has a nice villiage feel to it that you rarely get in Dublin. It's just finding something around the 450k mark that's a challenge. I'll certainly keep an eye out. It's the sort of place I can imagine being very happy, now and when the kids have fled the nest. I think our options are to get a small town house in Dalkey/Blackrock/Monkstown areas or if we want a bigger less expensive property then Bray & Shankhill which I'm not overly familiar with. Personally I'd value location over space, we aren't a family with lots of stuff, and like to be minimalistic.
I understand that going across to Dundrum, Stillorgan, Kilmacud areas is an option but I still think they are highly valued, and often have a more busy built up feel to them, I think its nice having the sea close by.

Hi Steven that is bonkers advice. We drive bangers. I have v wealthy friends and v poor ones here. We dont give a monkey's. I have a lovely home that is tiny. 4 of us in a 2 bed. Our garden a mess. We have the most fab views. The atmosphere here is great. Nobody flashes money. Our kids mix with kids from mansions who shop in lidl and and kids who live on the beach in a leaky cottage that saw better days in the 80s. Dalkey is so lovely. Newpark free and woodbrook in shankill and loreto Bray v g.

There is research into it. Read The Millionaire Next Door.

You are a sample size of 1 and fair play to you not being influenced by others but for every one of you, there is much more who are. I see it all the time in my own work.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Thanks for your reply.
Girls currently aged 5 & 10 currently in Lake lands, Sandymount but they are accepted for Sion Hill as secondary school. Ideally wanted to keep that as it seemed like a great non fee paying school.
I guess we could change if we found somewhere equally as good. Yes, fixer upper is fine but I won't have huge sums to put into it.
Hi, is it possible to have 5 & 10 yr olds accepted into secondary school. I thought the year this was decided is 5th class in dublin and 6th class in most of country. Having your name "down" , isnt a gaurantee, or first in first served rule either. The legislation governing school admission is and will change further in this regard.

I'll have to ask my wife but we registered her details, went to an open day, and her primary school is a feeder school, It's a good point though because I guess we could put this in jeopardy if we move to new area. She's probably on the list and has a good chance, but probably not guaranteed then by the sounds of it. Im from UK hence why I'm not totally clued in on these things.

It is unlikely they have been accepted, it is usually 4th or 5th class for secondary schools. Being in a feeder school is the best you can do. Once the eldest gets in, your other daughter is a shoo in as siblings are top of the list. If your kids move to a non feeder school, they will have little chance of getting into Sion Hill.

The demand on secondary schools is mad. The government have failed in building new schools to keep up with the demand. it's not uncommon for there to be a list of 1,000 for 100 places. How soon you got your application in and feeder schools all count. (Just been through all of this myself, it's not a fun experience).

You've mentioned this is a forever home, yet I haven't seen a single thing about what you and your wife are looking for in a forever home? Your kids will move out, not for a good while yet, but it seems to me you need to consider what you and your wife want for yourselves as well as your kids.
I lived in Dalkey and loved it, very handy for some of the schools you're talking about.
I'd totally disagree with SBarrett on the need to mimic neighbours expenditure and the pressure to do so, but as he says everyoneis different.
Definitely look at your kids either using public transport to school or cycling. Where do you and your wife work? That hasn't been mentioned either, that should have an impact as well.
If it were me I wouldn't be rushing to purchase just at the moment, I'd wait and see how this all plays out for a bit yet.

It is unlikely they have been accepted, it is usually 4th or 5th class for secondary schools. Being in a feeder school is the best you can do. Once the eldest gets in, your other daughter is a shoo in as siblings are top of the list. If your kids move to a non feeder school, they will have little chance of getting into Sion Hill.

The demand on secondary schools is mad. The government have failed in building new schools to keep up with the demand. it's not uncommon for there to be a list of 1,000 for 100 places. How soon you got your application in and feeder schools all count. (Just been through all of this myself, it's not a fun experience).
Hi Steve, the first in first accepted depends on school policy. I do know our preferred school doesn't allow that, but feeder school is v. important though.

Hi Steve, the first in first accepted depends on school policy. I do know our preferred school doesn't allow that, but feeder school is v. important though.

A lot have priority rating:

1. Siblings
2. Children of staff
3. Feeder schools - ranked in order of application
4. All other - ranked in order of application

I found this to be quiet common around schools in South Dublin. The "local" boys secondary school for me is St Benildus in Kilmacud. We live in Kilternan and there's lots of schools closer to Benildus than use that aren't a feeder (one is about 1km away). Parents got a massive shock when they got the rejection letter as they assumed there'd be no issue. They were scrambling around to find schools for their son, lots having to opt for private education when they don't really want to.

Thanks for all the advice,
Yes that's the one. It's seems like a nice little estate. I know it's a town house but it seems like a decent price for Dalkey.
There's also a house in Hawthorne Manor off Carysfort Avenue,
Tintagel, are you familiar with that estate?

Hawthorn Manor.. It's a great location. Close to the new Dunnes Stores and The Wishing Well pub, St. Augustine's swimming pool.

Delighted with all the feedback here.
We had our 10 year old on Sion Hill list when she was 7-8, haven't done anything with youngest yet but presume that will be easy with the sibling rule. All this has definitely made me realise we need to follow up, and also get a plan b just incase.
My wife doesn't work, she looks after kids and does all the school drops, play dates etc, although she will most likely get a small part time role in the coming years. I work off Baggott St, Mon-Fri and have a car space in work but in an ideal world we'd get rid of a car and just share as running 2 cars is expensive.
As far as ideal life when kids are older, living close to scenic area for walks, nice restaurants etc, we are quite simple, definitely want a small enough mortgage as we'd love to spend more time in Portugal long term, month here and there sort of thing so I'd like to keep a large chunk of money for entertainment and trips /holidays rather than having a massive mortgage... Although my budget of 450k is low for these areas I'm happy to have a small place. As we aren't from the area I don't like the thought of being isolated miles away. Blackrock Monkstown Dalkey all have enough going on, and still accessible to Dublin City...
Hawthorn Manor off Carysfort Ave seems like a decent spot, Arkendale in Dalkey too. There's not much in Monkstown at this price level currently, just a 2 bed off Monkstown Rd.

There is research into it. Read The Millionaire Next Door.

You are a sample size of 1 and fair play to you not being influenced by others but for every one of you, there is much more who are. I see it all the time in my own work.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

especially when you have two daughters!! Grew up in a very affluent area but my family didn’t have a lot of money for discretionary items. Was tougher than you’d think - esp when people are wearing the latest gear or heading off on ski holidays etc

Thanks for your help

You might want to keep Muckross in mind - non fee paying and on the way into town. So either possible to give a lift on way into work or weel served by buses. It's a pretty good school. Certainly used to be anyway

Might give you more flexibility in terms of locations

Back