Commutable to Blackrock for under 450k

Gav801

Hi all,
I'm mortgage approved for 350k plus have a 70k deposit so total budget is 420k. Family of 4 with 2 young children. There must be good opportunities in the market now for picking up properties 20% under asking price. We are currently renting and paying huge rent so keen to still buy something at a good price as its a long term purchase. I also work in sales so although the economy and property market might tank, so will my earnings so I won't get approved for so much a year or two down the line. A mortgage for 350k would be around 1600 per month, currently paying 2500 rent in South Dublin so there is substantial savings there. My kids will be going to school in blackrock so needs to be commutable to there.
Any advice from seasoned pros greatly appreciated

Is Blackrock cast in stone for school, and are you talking primary or secondary? Can you live with a doer upper for a few years so that you'd aim to renovate once you've more savings.

Thanks for your reply.
Girls currently aged 5 & 10 currently in Lake lands, Sandymount but they are accepted for Sion Hill as secondary school. Ideally wanted to keep that as it seemed like a great non fee paying school.
I guess we could change if we found somewhere equally as good. Yes, fixer upper is fine but I won't have huge sums to put into it.

There's great public transport links for Sion Hill, the Dart, the 46A route on the dual carriageway (bit of a walk but not too bad) and the Merrion Road bus route. Should be able to find loads of places with access to those transport links.

Ideally I don't want to be getting the bus to drop kids off at school it's just too crowed. We are happy to share a car and we're initially looking at Blackrock, Booterstown, Monkstown but it's hard to get anything circa 450k. I've just started looking at Delgany, Greystones where it appears to be a nice place to live and we could get a nice 3 bed under that budget, I've read that traffic is terrible though. Ive seen a 3 bed in Dalkey for 475k. If they accepted 450k that could be an option.

You are better off heading west of Blackrock to Stillorgan / Kilmacud/ Dundrum to get these sorts of prices and a reasonable commute .
Personally , I think committing to driving them to school every single day with no public transport option is a mistake . Given the age gap , you’ll have a child in secondary for 11 years

Who knows what the future will bring but honestly I wouldn't ever consider driving up the n11 to Blackrock from greystones. You are looking at leaving super early to avoid traffic. What will your teen do in the time before school opens in the winter? Will they still continue to attend school in Sandymount until secondary? Greystones to Sandymount would be horrific for a primary school aged child.

Thank you both for the advice. Looking out at our roads and forgetting how bad our traffic problems are us easily done at the moment. Having a nice big house is appealing but 2 hr round trip commutes will soon take its toll. I'll keep an eye on Dundrum, Stillorgan, Kilmacud areas. Does anyone live or have any experience of Carysfort Avenue area of Blackrock? I've seen more reasonably priced houses around this area.

Who knows what the future will bring but honestly I wouldn't ever consider driving up the n11 to Blackrock from greystones. You are looking at leaving super early to avoid traffic. What will your teen do in the time before school opens in the winter? Will they still continue to attend school in Sandymount until secondary? Greystones to Sandymount would be horrific for a primary school aged child.

...or you can get the Dart, which services both Blackrock and Sandymount from Greystones. The OP seems to want to live in the Blackrock area though.

Does anyone live or have any experience of Carysfort Avenue area of Blackrock? I've seen more reasonably priced houses around this area.

I live close to Carysfort. It's a great area. You can nip across to Sion Hill using the less busy residential roads. Walking distance to Blackrock village. Nice park at Carysfort. Aldi, Lidl, Dunnes, Tesco. M&S all close.

Bray, within five minutes of DART.

Delgany/Greystones to Blackrock every day is something you shouldn't impose on teenagers.

bray seems to make the most sense, id be interested to see the 3 bed in dalkey for 475k!

ah i see it now, its right behind the glenageary dart so a good location for commute (and a good location full stop) but its punchy at over 600 per sq foot.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice,
Yes that's the one. It's seems like a nice little estate. I know it's a town house but it seems like a decent price for Dalkey.
There's also a house in Hawthorne Manor off Carysfort Avenue,
Tintagel, are you familiar with that estate?

Thanks for all the advice,
Yes that's the one. It's seems like a nice little estate. I know it's a town house but it seems like a decent price for Dalkey.
There's also a house in Hawthorne Manor off Carysfort Avenue,
Tintagel, are you familiar with that estate?

busy little road but not a bad area at all. close to the new dunnes as well.

its a decent walk down into blackrock though.

Okay great thanks, so the Dalkey one is probably a nicer location, but Carysfort still fairly decent. Both are around 75m2 so pretty small but manageable. Outside this I'll keep an eye on Bray, Stillorgan, Kilmacud etc

id prefer the arkendale location personally but the blackrock one is close to a very decent supermarket if thats important.

I feel like there are supermarkets everywhere in Dublin so whilst it's handy, it's not a big positive. Dalkey is a nice villiage and I guess still easily commutable. Thanks again

I feel like there are supermarkets everywhere in Dublin so whilst it's handy, it's not a big positive. Dalkey is a nice villiage and I guess still easily commutable. Thanks again

yes id take dalkey / glasthule over blackrock every day (having lived in blackrock and moved to dalkey)

The only thing with Dalkey is as far as I can see the only secondary girls school is Loreto which is fee paying. We could get the dart to Blackrock if needed. Do you know any other local schools?

The only thing with Dalkey is as far as I can see the only secondary girls school is Loreto which is fee paying. We could get the dart to Blackrock if needed. Do you know any other local schools?

my girls are going to the loreto, primary is a NS and secondary is fee paying (but not massively expensive as they go) the other one is the holy child killiney but also fee paying, and cluny also fee paying

Back