Community welfare officers (CWOs) average €300/child on communion grants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, been on the go for a good few years. I heard of a few extended families who utilised it when the time came along....were'nt shy in saying it either

This post made me smile, Marion. My daughter's Communion dress was made from my wife's wedding dress.

That is just lovely.

My sister and I shared the same FC veil. It was wrapped in tissue paper and stored in an old Monopoly box and kept in the top of my parents wardrobe long after our FC's. Well into our 20's, we loved to take it down and try it on amid howls of laughter. Our mother gave it away without telling us. It broke our hearts, my sisters especially as she has 2 daughters who she would have loved to see wear it. Would love to see that kind of recycling take place down thru the generations & not this relentless need to out bling each other with brand new stuff (usually of crap quality compared what used to be made) at the tax payers expense !

My two boys wore their school uniforms for their communion.
My eldest daughter is making her first communion this year. Mrs. Purple is organising the dress. There'll be no fake tan, fake nails or mad hair-do's, not because it's expensive but because she's a child. You'd swear some parents were grooming their girls for the local paedophile the way they tart them up for these events.

Probably going off topic here but I have (thankfully) never seen a child at a Communion with fake tan, just wondering has anyone actually seen this?

We discussed this whole 'Exceptional Needs Payment for Communion/Confirmation' issue yesterday and like others, I think the payments are a joke. It annoys me that CWO's are handing out this sort of cash to people who can't seem to plan, or save, or to get a second-hand outfit or a hand-me-down. Do you honestly think a 7 or 8 year old will know the difference? Jeez - how did anyone manage before the Recession? I saw some dresses in a chain store yesterday that were lovely and certainly didn't cost upwards of €200, so I can't see why these payments were being made.

My partner is one of a family of 10, of which 8 are girls and all of them wore the same dress. My niece will now wear the same dress this year that her mother and aunts wore, and is very excited about it.

I have a number of family members who are clergy and they are just appalled by the extravagance of some these events and have seen at first hand the fake tan, the limos and so on. They have told me that the real meaning of the event is lost some on parents who are more interested in putting on a show and an excuse to have a party.

As a taxpayer, it frankly galls me that I am paying for CWO's to hand out this cash, while my niece is delighted to wear something that is 40+ years old and has at least a special meaning.

Rant over!

CMCR.

I agree with CMCR's view and think these payments should be abolished.

We discussed this whole 'Exceptional Needs Payment for Communion/Confirmation' issue yesterday and like others, I think the payments are a joke. It annoys me that CWO's are handing out this sort of cash to people who can't seem to plan, or save, or to get a second-hand outfit or a hand-me-down. CMCR.

OT posts deleted.

If posters want to discuss fake tan and first holy communicants then start your own thread about it.

This thread is about the €300 on average paid by the CWO service to families with children undergoing communion and confirmation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back