Commercial van insurance for Farmer's Market Trader

KittyN

Hi, I am a registered Sole Trader. I make crafts and grow plants and want to sell these at local farmers markets and craft fairs. I want to buy a van to transport a gazebo the stall display plus the crafts and plants. Insurance companies won't provide a quotation under the occupation of "Market Trader". Can anyone advise how I can move forward with this? Thanks

Ask Pike Insurances, Dublin, I'm not sure if they can help but they have some experience at least with craft type public/product liability and also have sorted house insurance while producing same at home for me, haven't needed a van insurance though but they are worth a try!

You might need to pick a new designation of occupation as it's quite limited I found under the list insurance companies use, I actually managed to get a new designation added through one company I was with initially.

Ask Pike Insurances, Dublin, I'm not sure if they can help but they have some experience at least with craft type public/product liability and also have sorted house insurance while producing same at home for me, haven't needed a van insurance though but they are worth a try!

You might need to pick a new designation of occupation as it's quite limited I found under the list insurance companies use, I actually managed to get a new designation added through one company I was with initially.
Thanks very much! I think the designation change would certainly help. There is one for "craftsman" and a broker could get me a quote (albeit high) under this. But its not entirely the correct occupation. I have another broker getting back to me but I will certainly contact Pike too!

I'd second the recommendation for Pike Insurances (www.pike.ie) - they've been our brokers for many years and we've no complaints. Our business is not in same field (no pun intended), but the Pike family have decades of experience in many areas of insurance.

"market trader" I would suspect is quite different to what you are planning.

As above, a broker is the best option. Insuremyvan.ie (CFM insurances) are also quite good.

Hi All, thanks a mill for your messages. I got sorted eventually through insuremyvan who actually got me a quote through my current insurance company who wouldn't quote me directly. The designation used was not market trader as it wasn't listed but something that described what I make which was accepted.

Back