Commercial van being repossessed

Helen McD

Baiiffs turned up to repossess husbands van, but they won't show me any paperwork only gave his name and company name. Bank won't talk to me, data protection act, and husband is on 'suicide' watch - I'm afraid to leave him alone.

Anyway, don't these guys need a court order, or some sort of paperwork - it's on HP and paid 29 of 60. And have only three payments missed. Never been in this situ before. Can't seem to find any online advice

Can't believe the bank - if they take it he can't work at all - we are very rural here - he owes bank € in overdrafts, which he can't pay, he's not well at all.

He's due in court on another debt, on 9th Dec, which means he has no hope whatsoever of settling.

I'm at a loss to know what to do for the best. I have no backup and am I little afraid esp with husband so low and he won't/can't talk about it

Any thoughts

Your husband doesn't own the vehicle and the bank can take it as they wish if he hasn't maintained the payment schedule.

Have you availed of any of the advisory services out there re the debt and your husband?

There are many such organisations out there able to help you both.

Hi Helen

As Tommy has pointed out, your husband is only hiring the vehicle. If he doesn't keep up the payments, they are entitled to take it back. It would be protected if it was not for business. See here http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=149818

Have they taken it back at this stage? Is he paying anything at all? If he has paid nothing at all in three months, they probably would repossess it. However, if he talks to them and pays something every month, they would be less likely to repossess it.

You could get a letter signed by him authorising the lender to discuss it with you. Especially if he is unwell.

You and he absolutely must go together to MABS.

What is the position of your home? Do you own it or are you renting it?

I suggest you complete the following:

Standard Format for mortgage arrears Case Studies

Brendan

If you call MABS in the morning and tell them how serious the situation is and especially about your health worries for your husband they may be able to give you an emergency appointment, at the very least you will a call back from a money adviser.

Thanks, everyone, I know the van has to go I just want it done legally, and without fear and intimidation, all his debts are unsecured so our lovely home is safe at the moment.

Brendan thanks for the link.

Helen

Helen, do go to MABS, even if your house is safe for now. No matter how rural you are there is one in a nearby town. MABS will have the knowledge about the other associations and organisations that can help. In a small locality a person can feel embarrassed but I promise you faithfully that you will be well met. There are wonderful people in these offices. People from all walks of life avail of their services or just to talk out a problem or just get steered in the right direction. You may need to get your ducks in a row as the loss of the van/ability to work might bring on other complications. Chin up. You are not alone. Do not isolate yourself with the problem. I have been ploughing through for a long time with the bank and there is finally some light at the end of the tunnel.

Back