Commercial Insurance and Private use

F

flaka

Hi,
I'm in the process of moving my private insurance on my car to commercial insurance on a van. I'm trading the car in so no need for two policies. The van will be my only means of transport. Operating as a sole trader am I also covered by the insurance if I'm in an accident when I am using the van for private use, e.g. going to the shops or driving in the evening?

Also if I'm carrying non-work related items in the back will the policy cover these if stolen?

Cheers,
flaka

Any commercial motor (van) policy will cover you in the event of an accident if you are using it for private use - however most comanies will not allow you to take out a van policy solely for private use though.

In the event of personal items being stolen, it depends who your insurer is because some companies offer cover for personal effects.

Generally anything you are carrying in the van is not covered such as tools, stock etc so maybe you should get these covered under a commercial property policy.

Cheers,
I talked to someone in an agency and said I was covered for normal usage but the commerical was additional risk so it is more expensive than private.

-f

Back