coming off a fixed term soon. what would you do.

T

tizme

Im currently comming to the end of a fixed rate term for my mortage.At present i am paying £800. I recieved paperwork from my lender (ICS) giving me the following options.
(a) tracker ecb+1.25% (2.25%) works out at £588
(b) existing variable LTV rate 2.70% works out at £614
(c)2 year fixed @3.15% works out at £653
(d)3 Year fixed @ 3.60% works out at £694

At the moment im thinking of going with the tracker for a few months and then going for a long fixed rate.

My questions are what would you pick? and why would anyone pick the variable over the tracker?

Re: my mortgage. what would you do?

[FONT=&quot]Please the title of your post in line with the Posting Guidelines.

Please read the before posting again on Askaboutmoney.

Any responses to posts with meaningless titles will be removed.

If the title is not edited within a reasonable time, the post will be closed.

Brendan
Administrator [/FONT]

I have posted before about my logic in switching to a 5 year fixed rate with AIB and am happy with that decision BUT if I had been offered a tracker at 1.25% when my fixed rate expired earlier this year I would have taken it - no question.

I'd opt for the tracker and overpay on the capital to your current repayment. That way there is no extra pain and you start clearing capital at €212 pm.

The only potential reason to opt for the variable is that it isn't tied to ECB base interest rate increase so a bank doesn't have to pass any on - having said that.... I can't see any bank not passing one on!!

Consider the fixed rate. Its a good deal for 3 years. if you wait to go on a fixed rate for a few months, the fixed rates could be a lot dearer.

Do they do a 5 year fixed?

But if you choose the fixed rate option it is very unlikely you will be offered a tracker when you come back off it in 3-5 years time. You will at best be put onto a variable with which the bank can charge any rate they want.

Back