Coming off a fixed rate mortgage early.

T

The Maker

Hi all
Some help please. I fixed in to my mortgage 3 years ago for 5 years at 4.85% with PTSB. Now that the interest rates have started to go down ,would I be better off getting out?.

I rang PTSB and they said I now don't have that option anymore and have to stay in for 5 years. Can they do this?
My mortgage is €137000.

Thanks .

It depends on the terms of your mortgage, some lenders will let you break a fixed rate it, but for a fee and often quite a high fee at that. Given the size of your mortgage and the fact that you only have 2 years to go at the fixed rate, it may not be worth your while to do so

Many thanks for your return

When I took out the fixed rate contract it stated I could break out. But a penalty would apply. Now they say they have changed this and I will have to stay in. Can they change their side of the contract?

Thanks.

You can move your mortgage elsewhere - I'm sure they can't refuse you that option (but they will charge the penalty) .Ask them for a mortgage redemption statement to see how much you would have to pay them. In the meantime check out AIB, BOI and Halifax - they all have variable rates below 4% - AIB has 2 year fix at 2.8%.

Check your loan offer agreement, it should state in there what you can or cannot do.

Please help me somebody!!!! Last June I fixed the mortgages at 5.39% for 5 years with ICS, I rang them yesterday to see could I revert to the variable rate of 3.7%, they said I could no problem but wanted €21k to do so!!!!!!! Has anybody had any luck changing from fixed to variable with ICS without pay the penalty and even had it reduced.......My mortgage repayments are €1600 and would be reduced to about €1200 if I could change!!!!

Please help me somebody!!!! Last June I fixed the mortgages at 5.39% for 5 years with ICS, I rang them yesterday to see could I revert to the variable rate of 3.7%, they said I could no problem but wanted €21k to do so!!!!!!! Has anybody had any luck changing from fixed to variable with ICS without pay the penalty and even had it reduced.......My mortgage repayments are €1600 and would be reduced to about €1200 if I could change!!!!

I'm in a very similar position Clover. I'm with KBC (formerly IIB) and have a €418k mortgage on a property I bought in 2007 which is probably only worth at most €300k now. The repayments at Interest only amount to nearly €2k a month (more than I earn and approx 50% of our joint salary!). In terms of Mortgages at that level our only choice was a 3 year fixed rate with IIB at approx 5.4%. Their current variable is 4.24% and would save us more than €400 per month if we could get on to it.

Before christmas I called to get the break-out fee and was told it would cost €12k to break out of the last 2 years. That amount would be added to the Capital amount. At that rate and assuming another rate reduction we would almost have come out even in terms of overall cost over the remaining 2 years so it was an issue of the current value of money vs future costs. We decided not to go with that then and last week I rang again to get the current fee - 4/5 months later - to be told it was now €18k!

Whilst on the phone I asked what the best rate available was if the alternative was to hand back keys and was told to put any change of circumstances in writing to the Bank.

I accept personal responsibility for drawing down a mortgage that large and I'm certainly not in the "drag out the bankers and hang'em" brigade but I do have a serious problem with such restrictive terms in a contract as to effectively tie you to the fixed rate with no reasonable opportunity to break out of it.

I'm currenlty writing a letter and certainly will exaggerate my 'changed circumstances' in the hope of some chance of getting off this ridiculous rate. I'm also thinking of making a complaint to the Financial Regulator (don't laugh!) as to the, as I see it, unfair terms of the Contract entered into.

In fairness you chose to fix the mortgage and no one held a gun to your head, you signed the contract, you gambled that rates would continue to rise but they did not. If rates had of risen and now your paying less than the standard variable, would you complain?

The only advice i have is to contact the bank and request a copy of the original documentation that states your breakage fee, its a long shot but banks make mistakes all the time and they made have made a mistake in yours.

Also, to the person who says they will "exaggerate my 'changed circumstances'", i'd be very careful with what you say. At the moment your paying your mortgage every month (i assume), thats all the bank cares about, you can cry poor mouth all you want but if your paying they wont care. But if you lie on a communication with a financial institution it can be taken as an attempt to fraud.

In fairness you chose to fix the mortgage and no one held a gun to your head, you signed the contract, you gambled that rates would continue to rise but they did not. If rates had of risen and now your paying less than the standard variable, would you complain?

The only advice i have is to contact the bank and request a copy of the original documentation that states your breakage fee, its a long shot but banks make mistakes all the time and they made have made a mistake in yours.

Also, to the person who says they will "exaggerate my 'changed circumstances'", i'd be very careful with what you say. At the moment your paying your mortgage every month (i assume), thats all the bank cares about, you can cry poor mouth all you want but if your paying they wont care. But if you lie on a communication with a financial institution it can be taken as an attempt to fraud.

I think exaggerating changed circumstances is a fair ploy as far as it goes - obviously if you're put in a position were you have to prove something that's different but it's worth a go in the first instance.

I agree that no one put a gun to my head with regard to my mortgage and if you look at my last post above you'll see that I acknowledge that. The real point is the restrictive effect of the Break-out clause. It is arguable that a term in a contract, as a Mortgage effectively is, that ties you too that contract while professing to give you the opportunity to get out of it, is potentially unfair and I would contend contrary to the Unfair Terms Regulations. I have 18 months left on my fixed rate - the break-out fee is equivalent to 9 months payments (50% in anyone's book). I think you would agree that a term such as that is ridiculoulsy restrictive. I'm not looking for a free lunch - the Bank will still get paid as they have done every month but the argument as to the unfairness of the contract arising from an unequal bargaining position remains and I believe it is a strong one.

I think exaggerating changed circumstances is a fair ploy as far as it goes - obviously if you're put in a position were you have to prove something that's different but it's worth a go in the first instance.

I agree that no one put a gun to my head with regard to my mortgage and if you look at my last post above you'll see that I acknowledge that. The real point is the restrictive effect of the Break-out clause. It is arguable that a term in a contract, as a Mortgage effectively is, that ties you too that contract while professing to give you the opportunity to get out of it, is potentially unfair and I would contend contrary to the Unfair Terms Regulations. I have 18 months left on my fixed rate - the break-out fee is equivalent to 9 months payments (50% in anyone's book). I think you would agree that a term such as that is ridiculoulsy restrictive. I'm not looking for a free lunch - the Bank will still get paid as they have done every month but the argument as to the unfairness of the contract arising from an unequal bargaining position remains and I believe it is a strong one.

Best of luck to you, i hope you get out of it. I dont want to see people paying more money to banks than they could, i have no sympathy for banks. But just dont get your hopes up, it wont be as bad if its refused and will be better if you get it.

Back