Combining 2 bathrooms ??

maxwl

I am considering combining a main bathroom and a smaller en-suite bathroom into one bigger bathroom. At present there is not much room and I would like a bigger shower.

I wonder does anyone know if this is likely to effect the value of my house as it will then be a one bathroom house instead of two.

Thanks in advance

Max

I presume you're talking about about a 3 bed house? If you ever decided to rent out the house an ensuite in addition to the main bathroom is bound to be a more attractive proposition in a multi occupancy situation. But for an owner occupier a larger more luxurious bathroom is desirable. Is there any other way of remodelling (are the bedrooms generous) the interior to allow you to retain the ensuite whilst increasing the size of the bathroom? Also if the bathroom is adjacent to the master bedroom you put an additional door in the bedroom linking the two, it just means fitting a sliding bolt to the other (main) door. Then you will have a combined bathroom/ ensuite. This is done quite often across the water and is popular in apartment situations where space is at a premium.

if it's a 4 bed house I wouldn't drop the en-suite - it's pretty much a standard these days and would make your house harder to sell at the same price as your neighbours.

Thanks for the replies.

The house is 3-bed and I don't anticipate renting out. I am an owner-occupier.
If I joined the bathrooms together I would have access from either the landing or the main bedroom. As you say, carpenter, as sliding bolt would probably work well.
I am a larger person so a bigger shower would be a great advantage.

Thanks again.

I think the larger shower is a great idea. My "newish" house had a big ensuite but was fitted with the standard 800x 800mm tray, which is cramped, especially on elbows! So I've ripped it out and have bought a new 800x 1200 offset tray, new enclosure and accessories etc. I plan to reposition (the original locations were badly planned) the WC and WHB to optimise the space of the ensuite and hopefully should have a "luxury" ensuite by the end of it all. The only problem is trying to motivate myself to actually get stuck into the job.......

Back