"Combined Insurance Company"? Pushy "hard sell" sales tactics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Advice on "Combined Insurance Company"?

I think you should re read the thread Rico.

Information on the products simply isn't available.

I don't know anything about Combined Insurance company but I do know that the best way to really annoy pushy sales reps is to waste their time. If you have some time on your hands, invite them in for tea and play along before telling them to get lost. Sales reps don't mind being told to get lost but they hate being led up the garden path, having their precious selling time wasted, and *then* told to get lost. They'll have lost commission money because of you. Word will spread and they'll avoid you like the plague.

Hi,

As far as combined insurance products go I cannot comment, they may be fantastic or they may be poor, thankfully we have never had to claim from them. However what I will say it that the one way to put anyone off a product, and I think I speak for most people, is hard selling. Its drips desperation! My husband had a combined insurance policy for years and never heard anything form them, then six months ago someone turns up at the door from CI just checking how things are going. He was a good Sales man I'll give him that as he managed to sell my husband another policy. My husbands understanding was that he was upgrading, and he was then told to cancel his original policy. Then another salesman from Combined Insurance turns up on the door last night pretty much demanding to see my husband when I said he wasn't available. He then came back and started talking to my husband. My husband told him that he had upgraded a few months back and cancelled his old policy, this Salesman informs him that in fact the previous Sales Rep wasn't telling him the truth and he is only covered for such and such rather than such and such, and in facte this new upgrade is actually of a lower standard that the previous policy. His very words where 'you can't blame though he's only started with the company.' Now what these people are trying to achieve seems to be commission everytime they call, any way possible, which hey its Sales what do we expect. But one thing for sure is that they will not be coming into my home again, selling, asking for personal details and making us feel bad just cause we don't jump at the chance of another exciting policy.

I am looking at an accident policy from them and have been told it will cover parachute jumps. Looking at the policy conditions it doesn't say it does cover it but equally it makes no reference to it not being covered either.......any comments / opinions?

Last edited:

Bedlam,
For your interest AON sold Combined earlier this year.
Did'nt want them damaging their reputation methinks!

I was advised that personal accident is not always the best insurance. The benefits only last for a couple of years. Not much good if you break your back!! I would see if you can get income protection from Friends first or someone else like that.

i recently read they were sold for nearly 3 billion us dollars to ace insurance which will make them the biggest accident and sickness ins company in the world. a friend of mine recently got paid 150000 from them so they cant be too bad

You can write these things off as a business expense if they're set up in the correct way. I suspect that whoever sold the policies set them up incorrectly or advised you incorrectly. Obviously it depends on the type of policies......If it's income protection, you can claim tax relief, life cover set up under what they call pension term assurance can also be claimed back, the word pension is misleading but it simply means a pension set up with just life assurance. Serious illness or specified illness cannot be offset against your tax bill. Dont get confused bewteen serious illness and income protection. Serious illness pays a lump sum if you contract one of about 30 illnesses. Income protection pays a portion of your salary if you cannot work due to illness of injury. Normal waiting period is around 13 to 26 weeks..........

Go to an independent broker for advise. They will noty charge a fee to look at your policies and make a recomendation or give advise. Nauturaly they would like to have your business and will profit from commission paid by the life companies...that's why the advise is free but in most cases it's good advise and shouldnt be devalued because it's free!

C

Hello,

My husband is self-employed and is in his late 40's. We took out two policies with Combined Insurance which pays him if he has a long term illness or is in the hospital for a long time. We thought this was a good idea a few years ago but since then the reps come back every six months or so trying to sell us more insurance that we don't think we need and don't want. Sometimes it seems that they are using scare tactics to encourage us to sign up for more insurance.

Has anyone had any good/bad experiences with this company? Any advice or recommendations on other companies?

My biggest pet peeve with them so far is that they told us we could write the insurance off as a business expense so we bought the insurance then our accountant said we could not write it off.

I would love to get something comparable with another company if the price is right.

I had a policy with Combined Insurance Company some years back and I can hear that sales pitch ringing in my ears. You will be covered on trains plans buses cars trams and so on the list was endless. Covered for anything and everything. I cut my finger off and had to spend sometime in hospital, tried to claim and got nothing. When the Rep called to my door for the renewal, I told him about it and he said that he would look into it. I have never seen anyone from that company ever again.

Stay clear of them, and as op said shut the door on their reps.

Hi everyone
If you are saying Combined is EVIL mistercristo means your work ethics is so low that where ever you are or will be working I hope I will never deal with you!! It is "AWFUL, AWFUL job" when you cant sell one of the best product in Ireland - I understand your helplessness. If somebody is not for sales will not last longer than 1-2 months in Combiend and that what happend with mistercristo!!! Find different job (not sales) and stop putting bull-**** on web sites.
I'm working for Combined for 2,5 years. Never missrepresented customer, never forced anybody to take insurance and still finished as no. 2 in All Ireland Combined ranking as Sales Rep in 2007, and no. 12 in 2008. Im proud working for them cos I belive in product im selling and I know presonaly at least 40-50 customers for who I wrote policy, who are very happy with cover they have - but they know what they have!.

Combined has 2 accident policies and 2 health (+ one critical illness plan).
In accident there are no restrictions what so ever (so everybody can have it - exept disabled people).
In health there are question (QQS slip) to see if customer can qualify for policy (so not everybody can have it).
In 2,5 years I dont know single customer who did not get paid form her/his policy if his/her accident/sickness was covered .
You have full information about all four Combined products on web www.combinedinsurance.ie but for good sake if you got sick and you have accident policy you will not get a penny from Combined (but show me company who will pay in this circumstances).
Customers who complain about Combined very often dont know what cover they have. I will not jugde if it is representative fault (not explaining policy correctly) or customer fault (not reading what signing - all documents are left in home). It can be either way. The conclusion is that if customer knows what he have he will not complain he cant claim on policy. The reason reps are visiting customer every six months is to make sure customer know what he/she has and to show other plans Combined have - Thats the sales lads, thats how it works.
If you have any doubts about Combined go on www.financialregulator.ie Is it not the best source? I thing it is better than reading what unsuccessful and full of grief ex-representative of Combiend is writing!!! Download Insurance Statistic Review for 2007 [broken link removed] and you will find out in table 14 (Accident and Health Irish Insurance Market) that Combined is paying in Claims more than any other company in Ireland (€28,552K out of €79,069K in total - 35% of claims), that was achived colecting in premiums €72,359K out of €309,818K in total (23,2% of premiums). Do you sill think it is policy with out value. Any coments on figures. It is easy to say "I heard this.., I heard that..." but how to fight with figures made by Indepandant Goverment Body? Or is just financial regulator doing favour to Combined?
I will leave U with it.

Dont listen to BS cos it will lead you to nowhere
Kind regard
Piotr

yes piotr's description couldn't be any more true, I work for combined now almost 2 years and was no 2 last year in ireland with sales.
Its all down to good ethics and practices, from my experience its how the policy is sold at the start will determine how satisfied a customer will be, I have always sold mine with a good explanation and my claims giving out to satisfied customers have fell just short of 60,0000 last year, had i not sold the policies, It would be almost 60,000 euros less that financially dependent people would not have towards a better standard of living occuring from an illness.

for sour ex reps out there: if sales isn't your job never run down the company you couldn't sell in

reg Philip S.

We had combined insurance annoying us all week. They appear at houses business and especially with farmers. We found their approach very pushy, they wouldnt give us a business card or paper work to review at our leisure in order to make an informed choice by looking at other policies out there. The most was they would leave the paper work with us for the night and then they took it back when we didnt go with the policy. I am in my 30's and educated and i was being thrown numbers from every policy they had and it was confusing hense the reason to ask for paperwork to mull over it over a week or so. She kept saying we are old school and we come to your house andd set the policy up there and then so thats what makes them different etc and they wouldnt be bothering with internet or even dealing with the rep next week as she wouldnt give her contact number!
my gut is they are too good to be true.

I don't know anything about Combined Insurance company but I do know that the best way to really annoy pushy sales reps is to waste their time. If you have some time on your hands, invite them in for tea and play along before telling them to get lost. Sales reps don't mind being told to get lost but they hate being led up the garden path, having their precious selling time wasted, and *then* told to get lost. They'll have lost commission money because of you. Word will spread and they'll avoid you like the plague.
Yes you are right you don't know anything about Combined Insurance because you could beat them from your door with a stick and they will send back another ejit in 6 months to get the same treatment.

I started a basic accident policy with this company in the 90's when I was a motorcyclist but never had a valid claim. I cancelled the policy when I gave up the bikes (leather never suited me) and yet they proceeded to hound me for months afterwards.

I eventually sat down with a young lady who rang my doorbell at 21:30 at night and before I knew what was happening, she was filling in forms. I was tired after a long day and should have told her to back off but I learned my lesson (or so I thought). I ended up with reps calling 3 or 4 times a year, trying to convince me that my cover was falling behind inflation and also advising to "cancel this one and buy that one".

In the end, I was paying close to €2500 per year for my cover. Accident Hospital, Accident home cover, Critical illness, Hospital sickness, Home sickness and god knows what else.

They use the same line to get in the door that it's just a service visit to go through the benefits you have on the account but their intention is to lighten your pocket.

I spoke to a cousin who works for them (making a mint) and he told me a few tasty inside details (after I plied him with beer). It didnt make pleasant listening.

I made a claim a few years ago on a home policy that would pay me if I was sick on a doctors note (was costing me nearly a grand) and they only sent me a cheque for €90 approx.

Poor value for money and I cancelled the lot.

They are STILL calling to my door. :mad:

http://www.facebook.com/business/dashboard/#/pages/Hate-Combined-Insurance/268953964562

The lowest form of life in relation to financial advice imho.

I agree 100%.
The last guy that came was about 20 and told me he was in his first month with the company. He admitted that he had no qualification to be handing out advice about my financial wellbeing. Would you take financial advice from a kid who probably worked in Tesco's 2 months ago?(no offence meant).

Re: Advice on "Combined Insurance Company"? Pushy "hard sell" sales tactics?

Googled this company because I was sick of being pestered and this site came up on the first page.
Not a ver good sign, me thinks.
I made a claim with this shower a few months ago because I was off work for a week with that chesty bug that was doing the rounds.
Missed 5 days in total, had to pay €60 to the doctor and another €32 for tablets but only got about €50 from this lot.
They said they dont pay for the first few days on the policy!!
Why not?? I was feckin sick and couldnt work. I jst ended up out of pocket so they can stuff it where the sun doesnt shine. I will box the head off the next eejit that rings my doorbell.

My Husband and I had a very large amount of money invested in these policies but we cancelled them all because of the way the sales people act when they call.
They dont seem to care about your needs and just want you to buy more, more, more.
They are using a form now that they claim will show you exactly what you need, and its endorsed by the financial regulator.
The last girl who called was told that the cover was cancelled and she was given the reasons why, yet she still persisted in the same manner.

We wasted tens of thousands of euro with combined insurance and wish them the worst possible luck for the future.

in same boat had 6 staff on this money spinner.cancelled over year ago still getting calls and even reps calling in.stay away !!!!!!!!

I am looking at an accident policy from them and have been told it will cover parachute jumps. Looking at the policy conditions it doesn't say it does cover it but equally it makes no reference to it not being covered either.......any comments / opinions?

It's most likely true. A lot of Combined's current policies have only the major exclusions that every company has (such as "war or acts of war, declared or undeclared," and "intentionally self-inflicted injury.") Most policies that you look at with other companies have a page to a page and a half of exclusion-after-exclusion-after-exclusion. Combined pay for a lot of things that most companies will not. During 911, Combined was one of the very few companies that paid under a lot of there policies

They said they dont pay for the first few days on the policy!! Why not??

It's called a waiting period. Which is surprising that they have it. I work for the Canadian division of Combined and we don't have waiting periods on any product I sell. Weird

Last edited by a moderator:

I have been hunting this crowd from my door for the last 17 years I got insurance from them a few times only to cancel it shortly after and they still come the last time they called was a few weeks ago 2 of them one was a lovely sweet talking blonde that wanted to get her foot inside the door I kept them outside in the cold until they finally got the message and left. They never send the same person twice. They will start by telling you how much a month you will get for a cost of only a few cent a day and it can be wrote off against tax which is a new line. I keep telling them that if their insurance is that good then why do they have to call from door to door to sell it? it should sell itself with an advertisement. Common sense will tell you that when you subscribe that you are paying for all their expenses. I know for a fact that they will use every trick in the book when you make a claim such as (you are a day late with your claim) (your policy doesn't cover that) and many more. Take my advice stay away from them.

The have never advertised. They have never NEEDED to advertise.

You are not paying for their expenses. Agents are self-employed and have no salary (at least in the Canadian offices, where I work.)

Their operating expenses are actually a lot lower then your average insurance company. This is because they don't have many ostentatious office buildings. they usually have meeting offices (which, by the way, are paid out of the managers pockets, NOT the companies.)

As far as the policies go, Combined's policies have far fewer exclusions than nearly all other companies. To date, I have never seen a policy that has fewer exclusions.

They give you plenty of time to claim, and if, for whatever reason, you cannot claim within that date, then you can often right a letter explaining why you couldn't, and the company will honor the claim (even though LEGALLY they are not obligated.) My manager just dealt with a claim that was over a year and a half old, and the guy got paid. And last night I was talking to another agent from another city about 2 1/2 or 3 hours away and he went back on a claim, wrote a letter, and a ladies getting paid for breast cancer that she had SEVEN YEARS AGO! I can't see any other company paying for that.

We visit our clients every six months (or so) so that we don't run into "your policy doesn't cover that." If we're back showing you what policies you need to complete your protection and you say "yes," then you don't have to worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back