College Fees payable whilst on year long internship

Palerider

I have a 3rd level student who is in year 3 of a four year degree program, year 3 is a full year internship, he is being paid nominally whilst on the internship, the student found the position by themselves although the College does provide some support around helping to identify employers.

This 3rd year out of college is obligatory and is part of the four year degree program.

The student as I understand it will not attend the college at any time during the coming academic year.

College fees of €3043 are still payable.

It does not seem to make any sense to me to pay fees and receive nothing back from the College, anybody have any experience of similar.

It does not seem to make any sense to me to pay fees and receive nothing back from the College, anybody have any experience of similar.

So whatever on going assessments, admin, access to facilities etc. for that year should be free then?

That’s just it, there are none, he is in the workplace for the full year and will not be on campus.

When I did the same many moons ago but in the UK fees were half. The college did very little to support me.....

That said that year was the best year for me as it helped with my dissertation and led me to a job afterwards back with the same company. If it's a good placement and could lead to future employment after college then the 3k fees are well worth it!

Back