cold calling and cold letter mailing

Simplename

Cold calling works.

It is the best way to set up a new business and it is the best way to get clients. It's not easy to do and you will probably only get through to about 20% of the people you call. And while many recipients don't like it, you will get some customers this way. I used it to set up my business and the buzz you get when you get your first successful call is huge. It makes up for all the frustration and rejection you get.

I get cold called in my business all the time but I get the calls stopped at reception. If they do get through, I tell them I am not interested.

Getting business is tough. You are going to have to irritate a few people on the way, but the vast majority of successful businesses use cold calling effectively.

You can do a course. But the secret is just to do it. Pick up the phone on Monday morning and start calling. I am not sure about asking to send a brochure. Ask straight out for the business.

You can also use email shots but always, always, give the recipient the option to opt out of receiving emails. I have stopped dealing with existing suppliers who did not respect my wish not to receive spam.

Brendan

thanks brenden, superman, setanta and everyone for all your advice on this. Of course Brendan view that it does work is what I want to hear so I am somehow drawn to his view that it does work mroe, but I am at the same time a realist and know it will never make me rich and can obviously be part of a larger overall marketing approach. Perhap the idea of chating with marketing students I will investigate.

thanks brenden, superman, setanta and everyone for all your advice on this. Of course Brendan view that it does work is what I want to hear so I am somehow drawn to his view that it does work mroe, but I am at the same time a realist and know it will never make me rich and can obviously be part of a larger overall marketing approach. Perhap the idea of chating with marketing students I will investigate.

Is there dedicated businses forums for irish businses on the net?

No

I chased the Small Firms Association to make their forum public, but they wouldn't do it. So it's a dead forum with few contributors.

ASkaboutbusiness is the most active as far as I know.

brendan

Back