Cohabiting (unmarried)couple tax credits

financialtips

Hi All,

My partner was made redundant due to Covid but was cut off jobseekers allowance after a period of time citing that my income was too high as we cohabit but are as of yet not married. I have no real issue wit this but was wondering if i could avail of their tax credits in a similar fashion to a married couple?.

"Revenue assess cohabiting couples as single individuals." why are we then means tested jointly when my partner applies for jobseekers?
Because it's the law.

Revenue are obliged to use a form-over-substance approach to marriage/civil partnership.

DSP are obliged to apply a substance-over-form test as to whether you are effectively living as a couple.

"Revenue assess cohabiting couples as single individuals." why are we then means tested jointly when my partner applies for jobseekers?
Because it's the law.

Revenue are obliged to use a form-over-substance approach to marriage/civil partnership.

DSP are obliged to apply a substance-over-form test as to whether you are effectively living as a couple.
We are still living in Catholic Ireland! Cohabiting couples can have been together for decades, raise a family together, grow old together and one death, bam!!! A big CAT bill for the surviving spouse if they get the other spouse's assets as inheritance. They are treated as strangers. It needs to be fixed but at the speed things move in this country, you could be waiting.

I have had plenty of cohabiting clients get married just because of the tax position. And who said romance is dead. :rolleyes:

We are still living in Catholic Ireland! Cohabiting couples can have been together for decades, raise a family together, grow old together and one death, bam!!! A big CAT bill for the surviving spouse if they get the other spouse's assets as inheritance. They are treated as strangers. It needs to be fixed but at the speed things move in this country, you could be waiting.

I have had plenty of cohabiting clients get married just because of the tax position. And who said romance is dead. :rolleyes:
Doesn't "Protestant" England have the same approach to taxation of cohabitating couples that are not married or in a civil partnership?

Anyway - why couples? What about throuples, quadrouples etc.?

Doesn't "Protestant" England have the same approach to taxation of cohabitating couples that are not married or in a civil partnership?

You should be so luck ClubMan (haha)

Yes nothing to do with 'Catholic' Ireland. Married couples in UK get exemptions on Inheritance Tax whereas unmarried couples don't. However unmarried partners are expected to support each other when one is out of work just like married couples.

No one gets rich from welfare payments.

Meanwhile being married can literally save you millions in CAT.

It's right that for tax purposes being married is treated as a binary thing.

Back