Coffee makers

Marine 8

Anyone any reccomendations for a not hugely expensive coffee maker? Have just broken my old faithful cafetiere and thought I might splash out for one of those espresso/cappuccino ones. Had a look in Arnotts and Argos but am a bit bewildered by pump pressure, frothers and all that. Ideally would like to produce something at home akin to what I buy to take into work, where we have one of those Kenco pod yokes that spews out truely dire stuff. Any advice appreciated.

It's maybe not what you were thinking of, but you can get a 2-cup stove-top Bialetti (sp?) espresso maker for less than €20. Good coffee, doesn't take up much space, easy to use. I think they have a more expensive version that will steam milk at the same time as brewing the coffee. Haven't a clue about the bigger, electric machines, but i reckon €200-300. I think there's a discussion on www.forkncork.com on them.

If you are really serious about your coffee then I would advise splashing out on a decent Gaggia or Ascaso. Both very reputable at a cost of 500 euro. ( Expensive but something you will have for many years )

Good creama (golden brown froth)is achieved through high pressure and good qualtity pumping which is something you will never get from the likes of filter or stovetop coffee.

Brown Tomas have a pretty good range at the moment. Would suggest talking to of the sales guys in there. I'll be buying an Ascaso myself. It's has a nice classic cool finish and has a pressure guage at the side so you can time the perfect cup of coffee !!!

There are many coffee sites out there but coffeegeek.com is probably the best.

Good luck !

Bought a Morphy Richards - Stainless Steel 15 bar Coffee machine 4 years ago - Thought it would be a gimmick possibly - Its always in use - and a friend after having her first coffee from it and saw how little cleaning is involved - went out and bought 2 one for her mother and one for her.

Its about 150, Removable washable drip tray, Cup warmer and makes lovely coffee with a thick crema. The gagia ones are great if you are really really really into coffee - this one is fantastic for the more modest drinker.

Dont go for anything less then 15bar - and make sure you get ones with an external frother - dont get one where you put milk into the machine - A nightmare to clean.

Back