coaxial cable/Saorview and TV channels

Often UPC don't turn off those connections when people move. So new tenants get it free.

Its still got nothing to do with Saorview. You're just going to confuse people talking about it in a thread about Saorview.

The thread is still VERY relevant to the OP's original question, as he receives his service from UPC.........

"suicra05
I live in Dublin and have the basic TV channels from UPC (originally cablelink, rte relays) using a coaxial cable. I have the cable installed throughout the house both upstairs and downstairs so I can receive the channels in bedrooms as well as downstairs in Lounge area. When saorview becomes operational late next year, will I lose all my TV channels. Will I have to upgrade to a different package/company?"

If its relevant, it will effect his service. Will it yes or no? The answer is simply no. You gave him incorrect info at the start.

OP has stated that he has UPC as his supplier.

OP you will need a set top box (supplied by UPC) at each point to continue service as before, or else move the suplied STB with you to view wherever you want.

Thats not correct. Hes needs to do nothing. Saorview has no effect on UPC. Thus, the difference between UPC analogue and Digital services a different issue entirely. With respect, that you got it mixed up suggests it is confusing to mix those issue up as related. Thats why I say

Sky & ALL UPC customers are unaffected by Saorview. It actually is as simple as that.

Or to put it another way...

Saoirview Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT) for Ireland
Freeview Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT) for UK
Freesat is free satellite
Sky is pay for satellite
UPC is digital & analogue pay for Cable TV

They are different physical systems which might better illustrate why one doesn't effect the other, and why you need different hardware to recieve each. TBH it is very confusing. So I hope I'm right this time!

If its relevant, it will effect his service. Will it yes or no? The answer is simply no. You gave him incorrect info at the start.

With respect, that you got it mixed up suggests it is confusing to mix those issue up as related. Thats why I say

Sky & ALL UPC customers are unaffected by Saorview. It actually is as simple as that.

Thank you for pointing out that I gave incorrect info, This was pointed out to me earlier and I thanked Tarfhead in post #9, but let me extend my gratitude to you as well.

"Let he who is without sin.........." springs to mind.

Also with respect, I did not get mixed up, as you state, but mistakenly thought UPC were ceasing their analogue signal.

But thanks to AAM and discussing subjects and not giving short/simple/to the point answers (as some posters appear to be advocating) I now stand corrected and better informed.
Surely that courtesy should be extended to all posters.

I'm not pointing out that you made a mistake, but that is easy to make a "mistake" if you discuss unrelated issues of similar terminology together.

For example Pudds, mixing "digital switch over" in reply to my comment about Sky and UPC. Thats just confusing. The Saorview "digital switch over" has nothing to do with either Sky or Digital. UPC's non analogue service has nothing to do with the Irish Analogue Terrestrial service/signal.

I'm not pointing out that you made a mistake, but that is easy to make a "mistake" if you discuss unrelated issues of similar terminology together.

For example Pudds, mixing "digital switch over" ...........Removed for the sake of clarity

But that's my point, they are not unrelated, as in the OP's post he specifically mentions Saorview and UPC.

At this stage we now know that, at the time, of the intended, "Digital switch over" the OP will/should (as we all know UPC often move the goalposts) not be affected and has been informed of same.
However the thread is now discussing how long this may last ie. How long will UPC transmit both signals and the effect on users if/when the UPC analogue signal ceases.

That he mentions them together doesn't make them related. I'd suggest a discussion on UPC analogue warrants a new topic. Otherwise people will make mistakes and mix them up. As has happened already by a few people in this thread thus far.

UPC won't be in a hurry to turn if off, as it will make a lot of people jump to sky, which is better, or free services which are cheaper. People only stick with UPC because its a cheaper compromise than sky and its simpler than the free services. Remove both and there's little reason to stay with UPC.

That he mentions them together doesn't make them related.

Dear, Oh dear, Oh dear.......pedantic or what?

They are "related", in so far as the OP mentioned them in his question!!

How else was his question to be answered if Saorview and UPC were not mentioned/discussed in answering posts??

I'm not pointing out that you made a mistake

Then why post the following?

You gave him incorrect info at the start.
Thats not correct.

Back on topic, we've clarified that the OP will not immediately lose service when the analogue switch off happens next year. However, how long the service they receive will continue to exist is very relevant. The analogue service is already more expensive than the digital one which carries more channels. (Unless you factor in multi-room setups)

They will not support this service for ever, and are encouraging customers to switch to the digital service.

I live in Dublin and have the basic TV channels from UPC (originally cablelink, rte relays) using a coaxial cable. I have the cable installed throughout the house both upstairs and downstairs so I can receive the channels in bedrooms as well as downstairs in Lounge area. When saorview becomes operational late next year, will I lose all my TV channels. Will I have to upgrade to a different package/company?

Without going over it all over again the OP's post in itself invited all the related issues that have been discussed in this thread imho.

That may not have been the OP's intention but that is the result.

...we've clarified that the OP will not immediately lose service when the analogue switch off happens next year. However, how long the service they receive will continue to exist is very relevant. The analogue service is already more expensive than the digital one which carries more channels. (Unless you factor in multi-room setups)

They will not support this service for ever, and are encouraging customers to switch to the digital service.

Another issue, if you are only paying for the digital service I'm not sure how well they respond to request to fix analogue signal issues. The digital signal isn't as fussy about the quality of the signal. Personally I have a couple Sony analogue hard disk recorders which are almost useless without an analogue signal, so if they dropped analogue it would obsolete them.

My experience is that current analogue signal on UPC is simply the digital channel retransmitted as digital errors like pixelation and break up are often seen on the analogue signal.

At some-point its inevitable they'll take the hit of people leaving and cut the analogue completely. That said they are using analogue in their marketing at the moment, to retain customers.

OK, so the real important question is - how long will UPC continue to provide the analogue signal along with digital at no extra charge? And for bonus points, will the UK switchover to digital have any impact on this?

Often UPC don't turn off those connections when people move. So new tenants get it free.
I have said free channels.
OK, so the real important question is - how long will UPC continue to provide the analogue signal along with digital at no extra charge? And for bonus points, will the UK switchover to digital have any impact on this?
This is an interesting question. I doubt it costs them much to run but they may lose customers if the pull the analogue plug. It makes little difference to me but the kids would probably miss nick. Chorus were a terrible company and I don't rate UPC either.

lol nice touch at the end. :)

Well the Irish turn off isn't till the end of 2012, so it won't be till after that.

I think the analogue signal isn't as good on UPC as it used to be. Perhaps thats a ploy to encourage people off it.

Back