coaxial cable/Saorview and TV channels

suicra05

I live in Dublin and have the basic TV channels from UPC (originally cablelink, rte relays) using a coaxial cable. I have the cable installed throughout the house both upstairs and downstairs so I can receive the channels in bedrooms as well as downstairs in Lounge area. When saorview becomes operational late next year, will I lose all my TV channels. Will I have to upgrade to a different package/company?

No

If you receive your channels by cable, you're OK. If you receive your channels by an aerial, you'll lose them.

OP has stated that he has UPC as his supplier.

OP you will need a set top box (supplied by UPC) at each point to continue service as before, or else move the suplied STB with you to view wherever you want.

OP has stated that he has UPC as his supplier.

OP you will need a set top box (supplied by UPC) at each point to continue service as before, or else move the suplied STB with you to view wherever you want.

If OP has 'the basic TV channels from UPC', I assume there is no set-top box involved, just a co-axial cable going direct into the TV. For this set-up, my understanding is that the switch-off of analog will have no effect.

If OP has 'the basic TV channels from UPC', I assume there is no set-top box involved, just a co-axial cable going direct into the TV. For this set-up, my understanding is that the switch-off of analog will have no effect.

Yes that is the set up I am also assuming that the OP has and as such is now receiving his channels via an analogue signal.
This is due to stop being relayed by UPC late next year and ALL signals will be digital thus necessitating the use of a set top box, from UPC, as ALL channels will also be encrypted.

This is due to stop being relayed by UPC late next year and ALL signals will be digital thus necessitating the use of a set top box, from UPC, as ALL channels will also be encrypted.

I believe this to be mistaken, based on that's on the UPC website

UPC said:
If you currently receive your analogue TV service from UPC this service will continue to be available in its current format after the national analogue switch off takes place. You will not need to make any changes to your service or purchase any additional equipment.

I think you're right TarfHead, thanks for pointing this out.

I wonder for how long they will continue to relay analogue signals on their network?

The UPC website mentions "RTE ONE, RTE TWO, TV3 and TG4" but doesn't explicitly mention other channels currently available on analogue - BBC, C4, Sky etc. Will these continue to be available when Saorview comes on stream?

The UPC website mentions "RTE ONE, RTE TWO, TV3 and TG4" but doesn't explicitly mention other channels currently available on analogue - BBC, C4, Sky etc. Will these continue to be available when Saorview comes on stream?

I would take the following, from UPC site, to mean that ALL channels will continue as is........

"If you currently receive your analogue TV service from UPC this service will continue to be available in its current format after the national analogue switch off takes place. You will not need to make any changes to your service or purchase any additional equipment."

Saorview changeover doesn't effect UPC or Sky customers at all.

I only effects people NOT on Sky or UPC.

Saorview changeover doesn't effect UPC or Sky customers at all.

I only effects people NOT on Sky or UPC.

I think their teasing out how long this will continue especially after the digital switch over both here and in Northern Ireland in October 2012.

You're going to have explain that.

How long what will continue?

I would assume he means how long UPC will continue to transmit both analogue and digital signals after the terrestrial analogue swith off due late (Oct.) next year.

Saorview switch doesn't effect that either. UPC can decide that at any time. So I still don't get pudds meaning.

Saorview switch doesn't effect that either. UPC can decide that at any time. So I still don't get pudds meaning.

UPC currently transmit both an analogue and a digital signal along their cables. The question is, for how long will they continue to broadcast an analogue signal (which they will have to convert from digital).

Eliminating the analogue signal will allow them provide more digital content and ensure all content is encrypted, allowing only paying customers receive the service.

UPC currently transmit both an analogue and a digital signal along their cables. The question is, for how long will they continue to broadcast an analogue signal (which they will have to convert from digital).
This is indeed the question. It is a big issue for households with the analogue signal split out to multiple rooms, but not paying for multi-room boxes.

This is indeed the question. It is a big issue for households with the analogue signal split out to multiple rooms, but not paying for multi-room boxes.

Often UPC don't turn off those connections when people move. So new tenants get it free.

Its still got nothing to do with Saorview. You're just going to confuse people talking about it in a thread about Saorview.

Back