Co. Councils insisting on OFTEC registered plumbers

Dermot

It has come to my attention where Co. Councils are insisting on a OFTEC registered plumber to sign off even where the plumbers are fully qualifed plumbers and have certificates from college and have done their full apprenticeships. The Councils are insisting on this in favour of any other qualifications and are witholding rent payments until an OFTEC registered plumber is employed to certify a boiler. In my area most of the good plumbers are not interested in registering with OFTEC. Are the Councils exceeding their powers in this situation. I would appreciate constructive answers. Not affecting me at the moment.

I would be of the opinion they are. If they refuse to pay rent until they receive the above I would personally issue a termination notice for non payment of rent and evict the tenant.

They have no right to do this under HAP. They may have under RAS but not under HAP as they are not the tenant under HAP they are under RAS.

Thank you. From what I hear from plumbers OFTEC are an english body and they are not a regulatory body like RECI for electricians. Seems strange that a plumber having done an full apprenticeship including schooling and practical and having their full qualifications are not acceptable to Co.Co

BE VERY VERY AFRAID OF OIL BOILERS, TANKS AND LINES!

An Oil leak is a catastrophic event which will have major structural, financial and psychological effects on you, your house and your neighbours!
I know from experience! Such an event has taken years off of my life...

Be certain that your home insurance is correct and that it covers you adequately for escape of oil.
Only employ a certified and INSURED Professional to service the boiler etc. Always get a receipt and a report/cert from them after each visit.
Never let a tenant, neighbour or oil delivery truck driver "bleed" a burner. (fit a Tiger loop)

What really annoys me is that I employ a fully trained professional plumber. He has all his professional paperwork but he is not in OFTEC and will not join as well as other very competent plumbers. I know two oftec registered plumbers who never qualified as plumbers and who get little or no work One of them does general handyman maintenance and the other is mainly at lawnmowing. Meanwhile the Council are employing what I would describe as you tube plumbers to do their plumbing maintenance. Double standards as usual. I am all about employing very good trades people but when I look around and from what I hear on the ground the uniform standard of OFTEC registered plumbers is not good enough. There are good ones in it but there is no checking system on their work and I and others remain to be convinced. If it were the case that I could randomly pick an OFTEC plumber and feel that the work was of a high standard that would be wonderful but from my own knowledge it is not the case

Back