Co Council road build damaged my home

P

Pixie07

hi,

Has anyone any idea what I need to do in this case, a major road was built behind my house, and they have done 3 surverys on my house before during and after the road build, since the 1st survery there have been loads of cracks internal and external on the house the windows & doors are now sticking etc, granted they are mostly hairline but they are listed on there mid survey, but still new since the build, as they had to use a rock breaker behind my house. I have copies of numerous complaints to them and documented everything. I really don't want to fork out for a solicitor in this case, and am in the process of getting estimates for the re-decoration and to put back to pre-build condition. It was a joint venture between Co. Council and Major construction company, I know I can't claim off their insurers without getting a solicitor, anyone got any suggestions or know what my rights are in this case.
Thank you !

I advise you get a solicitor and also have your own survey done. How thay treated your complaints should give you an idea of how they will treat you now that you are looking for problems to be rectified that will cost them cash. Did they respond to your complaints or take them seriously?

There may be damage that is not visible to the naked eye yet, yu don't want to be settling for a new coat of paint if there are underlying problems caused. I'm sure ONQ will be along soon enough to give you some good advice.

hi

Thanks a mill, I do reckon I will have to get solictor involved but really didn't want the costs of this, anyone got a clue how much a solictor in this case would be, or would a solictors letter suffice ?

Hi

Yes the road has been completed its the Port road in Wicklow which is now open, and I have been given 3 survey reports. Before works, during works and one on completion.

Hi,

The final survery does not have any recommendations its more like a letter type of thing, saying date of org survery, interm inspection & final inspection date, and a paragrah saying "is there any significant damage to the builiding relative to the adjoining dev works since org inspection which they have put in a No, and the next paragraph reads the same expcept since the interim inspection and it say No as well.

But between the first & interim suvery there was a lot of new cracks etc which they identified on their survery, I no its not signigificant as in the walls aren't going to fall down etc but it all needs to be redecorated, some of the extrernal cracks are nearly the full height of the house etc. They sent in the middle of surverys Quinn insurers to look and take pics but noting ever came of it.

The last line of their final survery says "is a further re-inspection necessary - NO,
but it does not give me an recommendations or anything, they were not rock blasting but they were using a rock breaker thing and pictures fell off my wall etc when this was happening, I rang and they sent up an independant Vibration monitor which was fixed to my house they said this was within the limits allowed it was 12 meters from my house and the dept of hole below garden was 1.492 meters. I do have a guys name I was dealing with who are the consulting engineers. Really any guidenance would be very much appreciated, and thank Petermack for your help so far.

Back