closing UB personal accounts

Anyone closed a UB account recently using the postal form, and how long did it take? I mailed it off more than two weeks ago and no sign of closure yet.
I posted the closure form on August 11th. After a month with no response from UB and no sign of the account closing, I went into a branch with a copy of my postal form. There were two customers standing at an unattended teller window and an unattended customer service desk. After ten minutes with no sign of anyone appearing I idly picked up a booklet which said there was a telephone option for closing accounts. I left and rang them from the car. They said they'd tried to contact me about the closure because the amount of money in the account was too large, but couldn't explain why their contact attempt failed (I haven't changed address or phone number). Anyway, they promised to do the account closure there and then. The next day I got a closure letter and an SMS saying my funds would be transferred within one working day. Ten days later there was no sign of the money. I rang them back but they couldn't tell me anything and promised to call me "within 24 to 48 hours". They didn't do so, but the money finally appeared in my account yesterday ... exactly 40 days after my initial request.

I closed my UB current account last Friday Oct 28 as mortgage is paid on that day. Closed Acc online and put in details of BOI account. Receive email Saturday morning to say closing in progress and by Tuesday morning post October bank holiday account was closed. Logged back online and current account gone, mortgage account remaining. Remaking funds transferred to BOI current account on Wednesday. Took about 2 working days, although they said it could take up to 5 working days.

Closed our account online last week. Received confirmation in the post today. No fees or charge to close, no need to go into the branch in person. All very straightforward and convenient. I will really miss UB, been with them for nearly 25 years and never had an issue with them and their app was very good.

Closed our account online last week. Received confirmation in the post today. No fees or charge to close, no need to go into the branch in person. All very straightforward and convenient. I will really miss UB, been with them for nearly 25 years and never had an issue with them and their app was very good.
With very little banking choices in our country now, lets hope the banks who are operating here don't take advantage of the older generation and their free banking.

With very little banking choices in our country now, lets hope the banks who are operating here don't take advantage of the older generation and their free banking.
Why should working individuals with dependent families and mortgages have to pay for the banking services of a generation that by and large does not have to shoulder these responsibilities?

Why should working individuals with dependent families and mortgages have to pay for the banking services of a generation that by and large does not have to shoulder these responsibilities?
With that logic I'll await your written proof you haven't availed of children's allowance bonus, electricity vouchers, etc. Terrible to think others are working to give you this.

With that logic I'll await your written proof you haven't availed of children's allowance bonus, electricity vouchers, etc. Terrible to think others are working to give you this.
I have no objection to benefits targeted at individuals and families with child raising and domestic mortgage costs. In fact I would welcome more of these. I'm gone past that stage of life myself so I have no dog in this fight.

I have no objection to benefits targeted at individuals and families with child raising and domestic mortgage costs. In fact I would welcome more of these. I'm gone past that stage of life myself so I have no dog in this fight.
Many of the so called old free riders you refer to, who don't work anymore, are taking care of the next generation and also helping to pay their mortgages and plenty more. You should know better. But, lets not go there. It wouldn't be long until someone comes on to say that's what should be happening anyway. Too bad that some people begrudge the older generation the few handouts they get. They've by and large earned it and are still going without, to ensure others have their daily bread, etc.

Many of the so called old free riders you refer to, who don't work anymore, are taking care of the next generation and also helping to pay their mortgages and plenty more. You should know better. But, lets not go there. It wouldn't be long until someone comes on to say that's what should be happening anyway. Too bad that some people begrudge the older generation the few handouts they get. They've by and large earned it and are still going without, to ensure others have their daily bread, etc.
No, you tried to attack me, mistakenly thinking I was arguing from self-interest, when that's exactly what you were doing.

Back