closing UB personal accounts

mc-BigE

Im getting text messages from ulster bank asking me to close personal bank accounts (current/savings account)

i haven't used these accounts in years and i have a feeling there is very little money in them.

i cant find any paper bank statements on file for these, so i cant access these online, (i think i did have anytime banking setup, but don't have the numbers etc)

how do i get access to be able able to transfer or just see any remaining cash?

what happens if i do nothing? will the bank send me a cheque for whatever is in them automatically
or will the bank just pocket the money.

"Fill in and sign our Account Closure Request Form and return to Ulster Bank Free Post, Customer Service Centre, PO Box 5706, Dublin 2 or drop it into your local branch."
You just need to know your a/c no(s). and sort code, and provide a new, non-UB account number for transfer of any cash.
I closed a few savings accounts last week and balances and interest transferred over in a couple of days. No fuss, no muss.

If I ask them in the account closure letter to send me a closing statement do you think they will do it?

I wonder if they will advise those 'dormant' account holders of the accounts? It could easily be that someone left a small sum on deposit and forgot about it.

Presumably they will send a letter to the address on the account.

If the account holder has not informed the bank of a change of address, then it is hardly the bank's fault for not having up to date contact details.

Presumably they will send a letter to the address on the account.

If the account holder has not informed the bank of a change of address, then it is hardly the bank's fault for not having up to date contact details.
I'd a "Special interest deposit account" with UB.

From around 2016 they sent me out a letter every year saying it would go dormant unless I sent them a response by mail.

My last payment into the account was in 2012 and started in 2010, so whatever method they had of determining dormancy seems wrong - even the account opening and first transaction wouldn't have been 15 years ago.

They didn't consider me replying to them to say the account is not dormant a reason to reset (what should be) the 15 year clock again. I think they really wanted me to just to move the account and were using dormant account rules as an excuse - but the interest never got to 0% so I didn't move until last year.

They may have more dormant accounts that might be expected for their size.

UB uses 5 yrs to class as dormant not 15. Family member has dormant account with, regular letters come out to my address as that's where he was living when he opened it. However I'm sure if he had moved and they had a letter returned that would be the end of the letters being posted out.

What else could they do - you can't expect a bank to hase customers who have upped and moved without informing the bank

Not sure if this is the right place to post this so if a mod wants to move it, please do so

Got a letter from UB today giving me until Feb to move my account, previous missive from the bank had Nov so everything is moving out. Also know some people in the bank who have been told they will be there until q1 2024 at the earliest.

UB are meant to be fully gone by March 2023?
They haven't even properly engaged with a lot of their corporate clients yet. They may have their branches closed and I've heard that some of the branches are moving to PTSB in q1 next year but they will still be beavering away in the background.

Anyone closed a UB account recently using the postal form, and how long did it take? I mailed it off more than two weeks ago and no sign of closure yet.

Tried closing one of my credit cards via the app at the weekend as an experiment, got an email this morning asking me to ring them. They can wait.

I have an account with Ulster Bank in O'Connell st since 1998, haven't used it much this last decade.

When I became aware they were closing I went to Ulster Bank to get the money out, about 2.5k and they said the account was dormant and I could not get the money out without them reactivating it or something. I went back in with ID and Bills to confirm who I was, but they wouldn't accept them in 4 different branches, Charlestown, Letterkenny, Monaghan, Phibsboro, for lots of different reasons. One said if you are on the voters' register then that will do but he could not get me on it. I used my phone outside and I got it straight away but because he couldn't get it in the bank it was no use, it now transpires that the bank have withdrawn the facility for the branches to check the voter register.

I went into UB in O'Connell St today with a load of ID and Bills, Birth Cert, Marriage Cert, Utility BIll, Public Services Card, and they still wouldn't accept them, said I had to have a Photo ID in the form of a driving license or passport, I have a UK driving license with no pic on it, or a passport. My passport is out of date and I don't need a new passport, so why should I get one to facilitate them.

They never told me the account was dormant because I have another UB account and I always open the letters. So they have my money and i can't get it unless, I get a new passport which I don't need. That's 5 times I have gone into them

I have an account with Ulster Bank in O'Connell st since 1998, haven't used it much this last decade.

When I became aware they were closing I went to Ulster Bank to get the money out, about 2.5k and they said the account was dormant and I could not get the money out without them reactivating it or something. I went back in with ID and Bills to confirm who I was, but they wouldn't accept them in 4 different branches, Charlestown, Letterkenny, Monaghan, Phibsboro, for lots of different reasons. One said if you are on the voters' register then that will do but he could not get me on it. I used my phone outside and I got it straight away but because he couldn't get it in the bank it was no use, it now transpires that the bank have withdrawn the facility for the branches to check the voter register.

I went into UB in O'Connell St today with a load of ID and Bills, Birth Cert, Marriage Cert, Utility BIll, Public Services Card, and they still wouldn't accept them, said I had to have a Photo ID in the form of a driving license or passport, I have a UK driving license with no pic on it, or a passport. My passport is out of date and I don't need a new passport, so why should I get one to facilitate them.

They never told me the account was dormant because I have another UB account and I always open the letters. So they have my money and i can't get it unless, I get a new passport which I don't need. That's 5 times I have gone into them
75 quid to access 2500.
I'd do it.
How much have you already spent on petrol,parking and time on your 5 visits *so far*?

Company account holder since 1980...
They were no help at all, in switching banks.
I just cleared the account of 500 bob with a cheque,
now they are hitting me with fees and charges.

Back