Closing credit cards and stamp duty

STEINER

Hi,
I have 3 cc’s and have no real need for two of them at zero balances which total 10k in credit. Number 3 is less than 0.5k of a balance with a decent 4.5k credit limit which I will keep. Numbers 1 and 2 are with the same lender (Tesco visa ceased). Is it best to close these two before 31 March to minimise stamp duty? Will it be just €30 x 2 = €60 in total?
I have read the key post and am still unsure.

Yes, if you close before end of March you'll pay stamp duty for this year. But if you keep and close in May for example, you'll pay it again.
Stamp duty is payable even if you don't use the card.

Yes, if you close before end of March you'll pay stamp duty for this year. But if you keep and close in May for example, you'll pay it again.
Thanks, I will close before end March.

I phoned bank today, they are operating a basic card support service based on available staff numbers. My account closure request is noted today and I won’t be charged stamp duty in April too if they can’t close account before April. I used one of the cards to book flights for August this year and am probably going to keep that card in case virus and/or flight rescheduling issues lead to refund complications.

I understand if you keep the CC , then the stamp is due even if you don't use the card but if you never have used the CC, my understanding is that the stamp is not due if you close the account before the stamp is due to be collected....is that how you read it?

my understanding is that the stamp is not due if you close the account before the stamp is due to be collected....is that how you read it?
Yes, if you open & close the credit card, in the same stamp duty year, but never had a transaction on it, then there's no stamp duty.
But if it goes over the date, stamp duty is due even if it was never used. If that makes sense?

I get you. But what's your take on what a transaction is? Is it a purchase only or is it any activity on the card?

Let's say (in my case) , you have a CC with balance transfer but never actually make a purchase on it. Every month you pay off the minimum balance and the clear the balance with one big lump before interest is due. Do they count as transactions?

I get you. But what's your take on what a transaction is? Is it a purchase only or is it any activity on the card?

Let's say (in my case) , you have a CC with balance transfer but never actually make a purchase on it. Every month you pay off the minimum balance and the clear the balance with one big lump before interest is due. Do they count as transactions?

Instinctively... It's an active card. So I would expect the charge

But what's your take on what a transaction is? Is it a purchase only or is it any activity on the card?
It's written in legislation (s. 124 of the stamp duty act). It's a long time since I read it (credit cards aren't my area) but from memory it's any transaction line on your statement. But if you're doing balance transfers, you can use the replacement mechanism to exempt the 2nd card from stamp duty.

Are AIB charging the €30 Government stamp duty again this year in July? I haven't been using the card and have not received any statement but worried they might have applied it in April and letter went missing or something.

Thanks for that EasilyAmused - as I say never got a statement and wasn't sure if it would be in July again like last year due to Covid 19.

Back