Clinton Vs Obama

Don't you think he should have had better judgment than to follow this kind of person?
Well for starters, he's Obama's pastor not This post will be deleted if not edited immediately so to say he is "following" him is misleading.
Secondly how many people here would agree with everything the priest who married them said / says mass in their local church / etc? hell, if you are a Catholic who attends mass, you are "associating" yourself with a man who believes being gay is evil!

It's a non-issue that certain people are trying to make into an issue for political purposes.

Obama (or is it Osama?) has said his background helps him understand Islam and this will be good for the world.

What is there to understand about ...

9/11?

Bali, Madrid, London? ...blah blah blah

Are you ignorant, stupid or both?

if you are a Catholic who attends mass, you are "associating" yourself with a man who believes being gay is evil!

I understand your point. You would be associating yourself with an institution which condemns certain things which the mainstream tolerates but that would be not necessarily be the personal private view of the priest.

So Harchibald, do you also think for example that to understand Roman Catholicism you need only to look at the actions of the IRA?

Are you afraid to say M...?

Taking a big risk there Maddie:)

DC said:
Are you ignorant, stupid or both?

Both, actually, but is not a debate on my personal deficiencies a bit off topic?

Caveat said:
So Harchibald, do you also think for example that to understand Roman Catholicism you need only to look at the actions of the IRA?

Caveat, how would you answer DC's question? Adolf Hitler, Mussolini, Napoleon, Franco all were RCs as were most of the IRA, but they did not carry out their misdeeds on the basis of their religious beliefs. The examples I cited of muslims behaving badly are all in the name of Islam.

So Harchibald, predictably, you have either misunderstood or have chosen to misunderstand my point.

You implied that the violent actions of a minority group were representative of the religion that group belongs to, or purports to belong to, and that these actions are sufficient to understand Islam as a whole.

Hence my example.

The motivation for the violence (whether it is religious or not) is not the issue at this point.

Anyway, since you are obviously merely ranting, or more likely, trolling, the topic is closed for me.

We can see from [broken link removed] that in all likelihood Obama's formative years were strongly influenced by the Sunni side :))) of Islam. We know the Sunnis are the "bad guys" in Iraq (Saddam etc.) - is that why Obama wants to pull out of Iraq?

More generally is the fact that Obama has a Sunni background really an advantage in dealing with the likes of Iraq and Iran?

And as for Clinton. Some day I will retire from my humble little post. No way will my other half (who is younger) apply for the vacancy on the grounds of experience.:(

McCain is your only man - plough in at 2/1 on Betfair. I also agree fully with Brendan Keenan of the Indo that in recessionary America Ireland's interests are by far best served by the Republicans. Clinton would be next best. But Ireland must be scarcely on Obama's radar screen. Why is it that most Irish commentators seem to favour him?

We can see from [broken link removed] that in all likelihood Obama's formative years were strongly influenced by the Sunni side :))) of Islam. We know the Sunnis are the "bad guys" in Iraq (Saddam etc.) - is that why Obama wants to pull out of Iraq?

More generally is the fact that Obama has a Sunni background really an advantage in dealing with the likes of Iraq and Iran?

And as for Clinton. Some day I will retire from my humble little post. No way will my other half (who is younger) apply for the vacancy on the grounds of experience.:(

McCain is your only man - plough in at 2/1 on Betfair. I also agree fully with Brendan Keenan of the Indo that in recessionary America Ireland's interests are by far best served by the Republicans. Clinton would be next best. But Ireland must be scarcely on Obama's radar screen. Why is it that most Irish commentators seem to favour him?
That's quite a post Mr H.
A combination of a Republican talking points memo and a Little Irelander worldview. Nice one!

I just don't think that it is appropriate for a muslim to lead the world's largest free capitalist democracy.

And BTW neither does Obama as he protests strongly that he never was a muslim albeit both his fathers were and he was educated at a muslim school.

? Adolf Hitler, Mussolini, Napoleon, Franco all were RCs .........but they did not carry out their misdeeds on the basis of their religious beliefs. The examples I cited of muslims behaving badly are all in the name of Islam.

that is very debatable. Hitler and other Nasis frequently gave religious justifications for their actions against the jews, and their is much evidence for the catholic churchs complicity in the Holocaust (the contention that they stayed silent and refused to critize the holocaust because they wanted to "protect" the jews is risible)

“Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord.” –Adolf Hitler (Mein Kampf)

When Pilate saw that he could prevail nothing, but that rather a tumult was made, he took water, and washed his hands before the multitude, saying, I am innocent of the blood of this just person see ye to it. Then answered all the people , and said, His blood be on us, and on our children. Matthew 27:24-25

I just don't think that it is appropriate for a muslim to lead the world's largest free capitalist democracy.

And BTW neither does Obama as he protests strongly that he never was a muslim albeit both his fathers were and he was educated at a muslim school.

Obama said that he was never a Muslim. He has not said that it would be inappropriate for a Muslim to be President. His natural Father was not a practising Muslim by the time of his birth and anyway he left when Barrack was two. During the five years that Obama spent in Indonesia as a young boy, he attended both Catholic and a predominatly (though not exclusively) Muslim school.

Maddie, I take your point about the Nazis, I knew I was on weak ground there.:eek:

I also accept your semantic correction re Obama. But let me ask you, do you think that a muslim is suitable as presi of the USA? This is not necessarily an anti Islamic point. No more do I believe that someone brought up with a Christian background is suited to lead the Iranian revolution, which is not necessarily saying which way of life is the more correct.

Back