clients who pay no deposits, cancelling orders

Always, Always take a deposit and always get a written contract

Just to come at it from the other perspective...

I'm a customer. I agree the price and never quibble when it comes to paying, unless the job is carried out badly and you have refused to rectify. I'll expect you to be able to provide reliable references, and if you want, I will put you in touch with other trades and suppliers I've used so you can check whether I'm fair and prompt when it comes to paying up.

When I ask for extras I expect to have to pay for them (but if the tradesman throws them in that's OK too). I'll be fair to you if you're fair to me. But I will NEVER pay a deposit to secure your services, sorry. If you ask for one, I'll go elsewhere.

I'll be happy to sign a contract when I engage your services, but I won't pay a deposit unless you have to undergo significant, non-refundable expenses before you show up on Day 1. (I will be happy to pay a percentage of the fee on Day 1 of the job)

Furthermore, if i want to charge me for a quote (rare, but some people used to do this during the boom) I'll tell you I don't pay for giving you a free sales lead/walking into your shop.

Just to come at it from the other perspective...

I'm a customer. I agree the price and never quibble when it comes to paying, unless the job is carried out badly and you have refused to rectify. I'll expect you to be able to provide reliable references, and if you want, I will put you in touch with other trades and suppliers I've used so you can check whether I'm fair and prompt when it comes to paying up.

When I ask for extras I expect to have to pay for them (but if the tradesman throws them in that's OK too). I'll be fair to you if you're fair to me. But I will NEVER pay a deposit to secure your services, sorry. If you ask for one, I'll go elsewhere.

I'll be happy to sign a contract when I engage your services, but I won't pay a deposit unless you have to undergo significant, non-refundable expenses before you show up on Day 1. (I will be happy to pay a percentage of the fee on Day 1 of the job)

Furthermore, if i want to charge me for a quote (rare, but some people used to do this during the boom) I'll tell you I don't pay for giving you a free sales lead/walking into your shop.

This is how most of my clients operate. With any job over €3k, we are paid a percentage, once labour and materials arrive on site I.E day 1.

I have never asked a client for a deposit before materials arrive on site, saying that the material we used would not be bespoke and could be returned if a job was cancelled. Which thankfully is very rare.

I recently carried out a renovation of a bathroom, had a problem with the shower door supplied, got paid most of the money from the client. Waited for the door to be replaced (by supplier) client now wants me to reduce the outstanding balance - quoted there's a recession on! People think they can use the recession to save paying money out. If you do a good job for a customer they should not have the cheek to look for a reduction after the job is done. Always, Always take a deposit and always get a written contract
How long was the client without the shower door? Did the client buy the shower door direct, or though you?

i can take all said on board we always reach a happy medium but always collect a deposite upon signing of contract it was said to me once IF THEY WON'T GIVE YOU A DEPOSITE THEY CAN'T PAY FOR THE JOB now not to insult anyone but i've tried and tested this and no deposit means no payment and deposite on day 1 means problem with final payment e.g i even had one client tell me he never agreed to any extras even after i told him i only charge standard rate not extras rate funniest of all was i got him to buy some of the materials for the extras !!!!! so only do work for money now not talk

In the last year, I have always insisted on deposits for all work. There are times when I have a big debate about its as you feel as if the money is well spent before the job is completed but at the end of the day, have had no cancellations, materials are covered, and if the final payment is late, at least your not waiting on all your money. I initially insisted on 30% but in recent times its been 40 to 50%. In relation to scaring clients off, I always explain its to cover materials, suppliers unwilling to give credit etc and give a reciept detailing nature of work and deposit recieved.

i can take all said on board we always reach a happy medium but always collect a deposite upon signing of contract it was said to me once IF THEY WON'T GIVE YOU A DEPOSITE THEY CAN'T PAY FOR THE JOB now not to insult anyone but i've tried and tested this and no deposit means no payment and deposite on day 1 means problem with final payment e.g i even had one client tell me he never agreed to any extras even after i told him i only charge standard rate not extras rate funniest of all was i got him to buy some of the materials for the extras !!!!! so only do work for money now not talk

Fair enough. But I won't be hiring you if those are your terms (obviously, if you read my post). Remember, I will always give the suspicious contractor/tradesman the option of checking my references.

"If they won't give you a deposit, they can't pay for the job"?

If that's your experience, I suggest you choose your customers more carefully.

"Deposit on day 1 means problem with final payment"?

Really? I won't insist on the deposit on day 1. That's usually the contractor's terms, with which I'm happy to comply having determined he's good enough to work in my house.

Last edited:
Back