Clerical Officer Application - Include current manager as referee?

galgal5003

I am applying for a Clerical Officer position in a Public Body. The application forms requires the contact details of two referees. My current employer doesn't know I'm applying for other roles; do I include them as a referee on the application form and hope that they're only contacted if I get offered the job or am I safer to omit them?

Any advice would be great! Thanks.

You can omit your current employer unless you are specifically requested in your application to include them.

I've recent experience of a role I was going to apply for in the Public Sector where it was specifically stated that one of my referees had to be my current Employer.

I think they just wanted to absolutely ensure that should you not get the position then your Boss/Employer would resent and hate you for the rest of your career with them.....

Definitely include current manager - if you progress in the recruitment process and qualify they will advise you that they will actually contact the manager. So you have nothing to lose — and I expect you will excel at the recruitment. If you don’t include it’s not end of the world - but just looks like you are hiding something.

Back