Clear Debts or Smaller Mortgage?

marvin

Hi,

I need some advice. We have decided to move to Ratoath to a bigger but cheaper house. We will clear about €100k from selling our house. We have some short term loans (3 years) of about €16k (interest rate of about 7%). We also have credit card debt of €7k. My question is whether it makes sense to clear all of the loans we have and have a bigger mortgage for the new house - or should we get the smallest possible mortgage on our new house and keep paying off the loans.

Obviously clearing the credit card is a no-brainer. And I realise that the bigger mortgage means more interest in the long term. However clearing the short-term loans would give us an extra €400 per month. With one kid and another on the way this is very tempting.

Thanks in advance!

It makes sense to deal with high cost debts but not necessarily by consolidating them into your mortgage such that you will end up paying them over 20+ years and thereby pay more in the long run even if the total monthly repayments will be less. It generally only makes sense to do a mortgage consolidation/top-up to clear other loans if you can arrange for the repayment of the consolidated loan amounts over a similar period to the original loan terms (e.g. 3 years rather than 20+) and also if you do this as a once off remedy to financial problems and take steps (e.g. get rid of credit cards if you can't manage them properly) to avoid getting into the same situation again a few years down the road.

Back