Cleaning up bathroom without replacing tired old tiles

modestus

I have a rented apartment that I want to sell -I am putting in a new kitchen but I really do not have the money to refresh an old bathroom which has dirty grouting between the tiles as it may be a waste of money because a buyers tastes are very personal.

Any any ideas of what is the best thing to use to clean/replace dirty old grouting betwen the tiles ?

What is the best product to use to clean shiny(glazed) bathroom tiles?

What is the best product to use to put a new sealant around the bath ?

What is the best product to clean bathoom floor tiles ?

Any other ideas generally appreciated ?
thanks

With regard to the grout, there is a "grout pen" thing you can get in most hardware/diy shops. It basically resembles a tip-ex pen. You write it along the grout you have and it'll whiten it up. I don't think I'd recommend it as a long term job though.

Sealing the bath, use a good quality silicone sealant (you won't pay any more than 5 or 6 euro for the best quality one in any shop)....make sure its one with a milddew/mould resistant additive in it. Be sure and get out all the old silicone first though. There are a couple of good products on the market for that.

Cleaning tiles, I'm not 100% but I think there is a product by HG or Hagassen for tiles. They have a wide range of cleaning products, all of which are generally very good. Like I say, I'm not certain they do a tile cleaner, but I think they do.

Hope that helps

For dirty old grout use bleach and baking soda mix to a paste and apply to the grout leave for an hour then go back and wipe it off use a bit of elbow greece if required and you shall have sparkly new looking grout.
Vinegar is ideal for cleaning limescale off taps/fittings ect..

Good Luck ;)

We painted ugly old tiles using primer and tile paint and they look great, covers grout as well. Think you can get self priming tile paint which skips a step.

"Cillet Bang" is fantastic for tiles. Don't let it near plastic or wood as it will discolour them.

Someone toldme that you can paint white over bathroom tiles and it takes care of the dirty grout-you ned a particuar roller though -anyone know more about this?

As I mentioned below, I painted our tiles but just used normal paintbrush. Get special tile paint. Looks great.

You will most likely get details of the types of special paint available for painting over tiles on this site [broken link removed]

You will also get advice on Homebase.co.uk under the Application heading on painting tiles.

Back