Cleaning moss off the roof

muinteoir

I'm looking for a reliable company in Galway that will clean the moss off my roof. I don't want it to be power hosed. I would like it to be soft hosed. I found aname months ago but lost it. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanking you in advance

No suggestions I'm afraid, but moss requires quite a bit of effort to remove while still growing. Might require a 2-stage job to kill it off, then later come back to brush/scrape off. That's time-consuming work at heights, so could be expensive particularly if 2-story and scaffolding required.

Ours is a 2 storey house which had one of those long television aerials attached by a bar to a chimney and no attachment to our television for many years. Every bird known to man perched there at some time or another and each left their calling card which helped our roof and the roof of our next door neighbour to become an elevated live moss garden.

I attached a paint scraper to the end of a brush handle and climbed to the apex of the roof and six inches at a time began to scrape the moss off both sides. Ensure you're not afraid of heights and observe safety regulations. There's no problem getting to the roof; the problem is getting from the roof back to the ladder. If you "freeze" you're in great danger of panicking and falling or at best have the fire-brigade service rescue you.

But, the scraping is easy. Just take your time and get all of the moss off. Don't leave residue and you won't have regrowth of moss. Incidentally, if you still have a disused television aerial attached to your chimney, bring a hacksaw with you too.

Spray with " Mosgo". It kills the moss first. Use as directed. Can purchase in a general hardware store. There are a few different kinds of it. Any decent hardware store should be able to advise you. You will need to brush it off with a stiff bristle brush about 10 days or so later

If you live in a bungalow or have a skylight on your 2 storey house cleaning moss from the roof is a doddle. If yours is a 2 storey house without a skylight ensure you use a single ladder (not an extendable ladder) and have it secured at the base and comfortable enough to allow you step onto and back the claw ladder of the roof. Do not take a chance if you are inexperienced to working on a roof. Please Note:- This chore is very dangerous even if you are experienced.

If you are working on the roof use the claw ladder to extend your moss removal. Under no circumstances should you ease yourself along the tilted roof. One slip most likely will have fatal results.

Leper it might be easier too get sumbody in too do the job for a lay person.a couple of hundred quid would be well spent

I've been advised not to do it again, but the best way and not cheap way I believe is a copper strip under the cap tiles the copper when wet apparently changes the water and the moss gets poisoned dies and rolls of.

The Magpies do a great job of removing moss off my roof. They are there every day pecking at it to find insects.

Spray with " Mosgo". It kills the moss first. Use as directed. Can purchase in a general hardware store. There are a few different kinds of it. Any decent hardware store should be able to advise you. You will need to brush it off with a stiff bristle brush about 10 days or so later
Great stuff, use it on the footpaths on a regular basis especially at the back and side where there's very little light during winter so a haven for moss!

Back